Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everybody, I am looking to do some furniture for my kids. The idea is to create some sort of Wall Unit that would have space for toys, drawers and a desk for a computer and doing homework. Have an idea of how I want the Furniture to look. But need help understanding how the best way to do it is.

I added an attachment to show the type of furniture I am refereeing, the look.

My questions relate to first: the material to be used for the furniture. In the past I have used MDF for other projects, but I don’t think this would be strong enough for a Wall unit that will be big. Also I don’t think is as durable. The second choice is plywood. My concern with the plywood is with the edges, they will not be as sharp and if I want to do round corners, I don’t think it would work with plywood. Can you help me understand what would be the best choice to build something like this?

Thanks

Attachments

·
Banned
615 Posts
Plywood does finish with sharp edges, but the trick is that you need sharp tools and the right blade. 60 tooth or higher. I have a 40 tooth and it tears out the bottom, but the top stays clean. Another trick with ply us to edge it with hardwood. The edges take most of the damage so the hardwood will hold up better. a tongue and groove works well for this.

If jigs and tools were chairs and stools, we'd always have a place to sit.
~Stumpy Nubs

·
Registered
9 Posts
For my children's furniture, I use decent 3/4" birch or oak plywood. Get some with at least 5 or 7 plys. Like the guys said above, take your time and make cuts smooth--then I use a round-over router bit wherever a kids hands or face might come in contact with an edge.

I REALLY dislike MDF. It is so fake to me. Nothing will hold up like decent plywood. Make sure it has at least one good, smooth and sanded side--saves tons of time puttying and sanding.

Here is a link to a race car bed I did several years back. I used to sell them for $800 a piece, plus shipping. Sent them all over the U.S.

Airbrushed all of the final details (I used to be one of those beach airbrush T-shirt artists)

http://www.makeitwithjason.com/how-i-learned-to-build-a-nascar-themed-race-car-bed-for-toddlers/

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
thanks I am looking for the plywood that will be similar to what you mention, thanks all for the help. as the project evolves i'll let you know if I need more help.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts