Woodworking Talk banner

Kid friendly way to put letters on box lid?

1K views 7 replies 6 participants last post by  railaw 
#1 ·
I'm making a small box for my 4 yr old son to give to a friend who is moving away. I want to figure of a way to write their names on the wood in a manner that he can help. E.g. "Carving" by using a hammer and nail to trace the letters. I would like something more permanent than simply painting. He can write both of their names - issue is method of making it permanent. Any ideas? Hope the question makes sense.

#3 ·
Years ago when I worked with the Cub program, we had the Scouts cut out simple Christmas ornaments with a coping saw. Trace out the letters on a thin piece of plywood like luan and cut out the letters. You can either glue the cut out letters or clue the luan board with letters cut out on top of the lid.

#4 ·
Does Avery still make the ink jet transfer paper? Print the letters/words BACKWARDS and then print on the transfer paper.

Cut out the letters/words and then iron onto the wood BEFORE applying the finish.

I still have some of these if Avery stopped selling and will be happy to send a few sheets.

I used to use this to make T shirt transfers for my nephews.

#7 ·
Does Avery still make the ink jet transfer paper? Print the letters/words BACKWARDS and then print on the transfer paper.

Cut out the letters/words and then iron onto the wood BEFORE applying the finish.

I still have some of these if Avery stopped selling and will be happy to send a few sheets.

I used to use this to make T shirt transfers for my nephews.
Now there is a heck of an offer, and a nice guy!! way to be Dave.

#8 ·
Thanks all for the replies. The transfer method looks very interesting and I will use it sometime. I think for my current project I will stick to nail scratching and paint or sentimental reasons. Posted a thread in project showcase called "going away present" where you can see why.

Thanks for the offer dave.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.