Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Tom has really been beat up in the forums over that video. HOWEVER it is something that we all need to be aware of.

·
Sawdust Wrangler
482 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tom has really been beat up in the forums over that video. HOWEVER it is something that we all need to be aware of.
I agree with you 100%, Rich. It is brave of him to even attempt it, knowing what could happen. I would never attempt it, on purpose! I feel even he was shocked by what happened to the push pad. Although, a push stick, instead of a router table/jointer pad should have been used.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I'm glad somebody made this video.

I just don't believe it would have been so close if he had used a different tool to push the board through or just his own hand. That white push block thing to me seems dangerous.

·
Registered
12,939 Posts
I agree with you 100%, Rich. It is brave of him to even attempt it, knowing what could happen. I would never attempt it, on purpose! I feel even he was shocked by what happened to the push pad. Although, a push stick, instead of a router table/jointer pad should have been used.
I would never use a jointer pad on the table saw. It puts my hand much too close to the blade!!!!

George

·
Registered
53 Posts
I put my hand that close to the blade all the time, just never with any amount of force that would EVER move it in the direction of the blade. Worst case I could take a kickback of some wooden object to the nutsack, granted that would make a great follow-up youtube video.

The whole way his hand was pushing so hard on this arbitrary object to make the connection to his work piece + fingers wrapped around it on the blade side + force required to maintain friction to push the work piece..

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I agree with you 100%, Rich. It is brave of him to even attempt it, knowing what could happen. I would never attempt it, on purpose! I feel even he was shocked by what happened to the push pad.
What is really weird is that in school, before we are allowed to use the table saw, a similar demo is done. The instructor causes the kick back but he uses a piece of Styrofoam.

The first time that you see the demo you gasp. The demo does make a lasting impression.

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
styrofoam kickback

Kickback explained quite well:

·
Registered
301 Posts
This is a great video for new people to woodworking like myself. Glad he was ok, but the slow motion really puts into perspective how close he got. Great informative video and he's a lucky man.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts