Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I saw your video on how to make a Drill Press Depth Stop and I realized it was a brilliant idea. I got rid of the crazy double nut system years ago and replaced it with my own, as I thought brilliant, solution. I replaced the rod with a long bolt and a stop collar. Result of that is that, instead of fiddling with the double nuts, I'm now fiddling with a very small screwdriver to adjust the miniature setscrew in the stop collar.

Machine Machine tool

I started with replacing the bolt with a M8 threaded rod fastened with a couple of flanged nuts. ( the original rod was thrown away a long time ago)

Machine Machine tool Tool

Next was to make the wooden block. Pice of cake, I thought. I'll wing this out in a couple of minutes. Well, I'm embarrassed to say that I screwed this project up not once but two times. One of the mistakes was to assume that an M8 threaded rod is 8mm in diameter and that an 8mm bradpoint bit would drill an 8mm hole. None of this turned out to be true resulting in a too big hole for the rod. I tried to compensate for that with a wider slot in the block but that resulted in the block cracking in the back :censored:.

Well, finally I got it right. I had all the needed hardware in the shop so it was all for free. I'm very pleased with it and it works great. Only bad thing is that I can't understand why I didn't think of this obvious and simple solution myself? As you can see on the label on the machine I've had this DP since 1984. All these years of fiddling.......
Machine Machine tool

·
where's my table saw?
29,628 Posts
I hear Ya on the fiddleing

This is a great solution with just a locking knob. There are few times I really need a depth stop, but then you want it easy to adjust and precise. This has both. Thanks for posting it. :yes:

Thanks to you Kenbo also. :yes:

Reactions: Kenbo

·
HALL OF FAMER
8,570 Posts
I'm glad the video helped you out and I think you did an awesome job on it. I actually saw the depth stop in the tips section of a shop notes magazine and when I saw it, I knew I had to make a video to show others that might not get the magazine. I don't want to hi jack your thread with a post of the video, but if anyone is interested in seeing it, they can click on the youtube channel link at the bottom of my post.
Great job on the depth stop. It really is a brilliant idea.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts