Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I started with a fire log of Flame Box Elder about 18" x 13" Dia. Took it home and sawed and resawed it on the bandsaw into pieces 1/2" thick about 2 1/2" to 3" wide. After room drying in the shop for several weeks some of the boards were cupped pretty badly, so I just went with the flow and glued them together to form a 12" x 18 curved top with about 1 1/2" rise at the center. Sanding and planing the top and inside curves until they were consistent, using a pattern to check occasionally on the inside and eyeball and touch on the top surface. I used to clay model cars so my visual and tactile skills are pretty fair. :eek::thumbsup::thumbdown::laughing:

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Keepsake box Cont'd.

Then after the top was pretty well formed and sanded. I needed to rabbet the top to accept the end panels. I made a jig to hold the top vertically and a pattern with the corresponding curve and using a guide bushing against the pattern, routed a curved rabbet in the each end of the top. :blink:

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Keepsake Box Cont'd

I needed to make the edges of the top vertical so I used the table saw and a riser block under to keep it from shifiting on the break through. A little scary.... but it went well. No photo of that, too scary I forgot!
I also hand planed a horizontal flat strip along the length of the top inside, 1/4" wide to accept the rabbets in the front and rear panels .

I needed to transfer the curved rabbett in the top onto the ends. A pencil compass got me pretty close on the first attempt and a 2nd try was almost perfect. That allowed me to dry fit some parts leaving some overhang to sand off later after gluing up.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Keepsake Box Cont'd

I decided I did not want a typical straight horizontal parting line between the top and bottom. With a curved top the cut line should/could be curved as well.
The trick here was to precut the curves partially through but not quite to the corners on the bandsaw to leave enough stock to keep things from falling apart. Both sides and the front and rear got the partial cut. A sliver of wood acted as a temporary spacer until assembly. Then the cut was completed after gluing up with a pull saw through the corners. Worked Great!

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Keepsake Box Cont'd

Now I have the completed box in two parts top and bottom. Let the sanding begin! Sanded with 180 grit until every surface was smooth.

Then the hinge question came up. I found some neat quadrant hinges at Rockler, but with no instructions I was stumped. So many experiments and trials on some scraps later, I decided to take the plunge and saw kerf them in from the back and fill the kerfs later.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Keepsake Box Cont'd

With that dilemma solved it's on to the next one, what to use for a finish?? :blink: I had posted that question here....got a few words of wisdom and tried shellac and satin brushing lacquer by Deft. I went with the Deft and was not disappointed. After 4 coats and block sanding with 180 grit to level out the surfaces, I got the desired low luster finish with a Scotchbrite pad.

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Keepsake Box Cont'd

With the finish finished I took some photos.:eek:

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Keepsake Box Finished!

Final Photos

:yes: bill

Attachments

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
OMT One more thing

I didn't mention how much of a PITA mortising the little lock in the backside was. :furious: But finally after many slips of the chisel, I finally got it flush and drilled the key hole. I made a brass escutcheon to tidy up the key hole and add detail to the front. :thumbsup:
I might add a brass plate with "Keepsake Box" on it . I donno? bill

Attachments

·
Registered
20 Posts
Thanks for the write-up on this. It looks really good. I especially liked how you worked with the warping and just let it be to make the lid. Nice work!

·
Registered
805 Posts
Very Nice

Bill,
You done a fantastic job on the box, whoever gets it will be very lucky. Looked at this step by step post about the construction of this project and just have one question. Is there any way you can take those hindges back off the box so everyone can see exactly what they look like :laughing::laughing::laughing:. A video of the chiseling process would also help everyone too :laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing::laughing:. Hey just jerkin your chain.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Very nice! Thanks for the full project thread I'm gonna save it for reference, I,ve never tried a box with a curved lid and opening. Thanks again for the post!

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
Making a curved top

Chad, I left out a few details, probably because I didn't always remember to take a photo of every step. But to join the curved/cupped boards I remember setting the jointer fence to an angle that seemed to make the best overall curve then carefully milled that angle on the edges. There might be a better way, some sort of jig but you end up spending more time making jigs than working on the project itself. :laughing:
But that way you can make several of the same pieces since you're all set up.
The curved rabbet jig was pretty clever, if I say so myself. ;)
Good Luck if you start one. :thumbsup: bill
The Charles Neil thread,
http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f13/bombe-chest-chest-13546/
shows how to make large curved surfaces by dadoing out the waste at various heights and using saw kerfs and planing away until it's smooth.

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The "Finished" Keepsake Box

I think this is it! :yes: :thumbsup: Finally...:smile: bill

Attachments

·
Registered
155 Posts
I didn't mention how much of a PITA mortising the little lock in the backside was. :furious: But finally after many slips of the chisel, I finally got it flush and drilled the key hole.
i use the same locks and they take forever to chisel in!! but i cant see a way of doing it first! :thumbdown:

·
Registered
290 Posts
the finished product without reading looks like you may have soaked the lid or something to achieve the curve. hard to believe the finished box started with a warped top...lol. that is craftmanship. i also like your lid hinges and your contour box seperation, that is cool. hope it goes to a safe home.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts