Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have plans to make a large built in desk.. The general theme of the room is natural maple.

I was planning on using the maple 3/4 plywood they sell at the home improvement stores.

I really want to do an epoxy type finish on the desktop. But I'm afraid it will make the maple look wet (darker) than I want it.

Is there a secret to keeping the natural finish?

Any help, ideas, or concerns would be greatly appreciated.

-Mike

Attachments

·
Registered
26,207 Posts
Finishing maple natural you have to be careful what you use. A lot of finishes will yellow as they age and while epoxy isn't one of the worst ones will yellow. A waterborne polyurethane would be a better choice for that application. It will remain clear however it tends to be a little bland. You could also use a butyrate lacquer or a pre-catalyzed lacquer. Any finish that said it was acrylic would also remain clear.

·
Registered
861 Posts
Looks like the width of the room is about 8'. You can make the table out of a single piece of 8x4' plywood, maybe 3/4" thick. Use a jig saw to cut the curve. Veneer it to match the décor of the room.

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
This is the garage floor treatment I am really getting interested in. It's not cheap, but it looks like it's going to outlast just about any other finish you could possibly use. I haven't had the opportunity to use any, yet. But if all goes according to plan, it'll be on the floor of my new shop.

http://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...floor-kits/polycuramine-clear-top-coating-kit
If your going to use that product, you should use the interior coating polycuramine, and not the garage floor polycuramine coating. There may be some expand and contract issues if the garage coating is used on wood. Here is the interior floor version:
http://www.rustoleum.com/product-ca...-systems/polycuramine-diamond-coat-clear-base

1 - 6 of 6 Posts