Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using a lathe which I got as a gift from a co-worker, a 1942 Dunlap (Sears second label) with a 5/8ths straight drive shaft (a la Shopsmith) and a non-removable dead center. The point of the dead center has worn down because I used it with a pen mandrel, and since I can't replace the center I began looking around for alternatives.

I was planning on getting the Harbor Freight model #65345 (10" x 18"), but it's out of stock at the 3 stores within 50 miles of where I live, and back-ordered on the website.

A google search for "HF gem list" got quite a few hits for the somewhat larger lathe, model #34706 (12" x 33"), which some folk say is parts compatible with the Jet model JWL-1236 and certainly looks identical (aside from the power switch and the white paint job.)

With yesterdays 25% off any one item, it was just under $190 ... and because it's HF, I took the 2 year extended protection plan that added $35 to the tab.

Got it assembled today, cleaned off the oil from the bed and tailstock, and gave it some Minwax ... looking forward to playing with my new toy :thumbsup:

·
4Woodturning
352 Posts
Congrats Duncan, We'll be looking for some posted projects from your new toy.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Way to go Duncan ! I just did the same thing. I've had a borrowd lathe for a few years and decided to get my own. I was also looking at the HF 10 x 18, it is also unavailable here, so I got the HF 34706 with the 25% coupon and the 2yr warrenty. I don't have mine together yet, so you will be ahead of me. Please let me know how yours is doing.

Chris

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for your encouragement everyone :smile:

First speedbump seems to be that the PSI #2 morse taper "mandrel saver" packages are out of stock :censored:

Oh well ... guess I have to try turning something other than a pen. That lump of osage orange might end up on a faceplate again sooner than I expected!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts