Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been using a forum on BBQ'ing (I compete as a pro team ... Kansas City BBQ Assn), and a forum for antique gas engines, which I rebuild. Both forums have been an enormous help.
So, after a few years of woodworking (furniture) I thought a woodworking forum could push my skills ahead somewhat.
Forums, I have found, are a tremendous learning help, and an opportunity to share things you have figured out.
I look forward to chatting with you folks.

·
Registered
1,455 Posts
Did someone say BBQ????? Welcome to the forum Rag

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ok, here's a Q'ing tip for home use.
If you aren't working with a big trailer mounted cooker, you can use your kitchen oven for pulled pork.
Pick up a Boston Butt bone-in pork roast. Place it in an 'oven roasting bag' with a small splash of apple juice. If you have some favorite seasonings, throw them in too.
Set in a pan and place in the oven. Set temp to 250*
Cook like that until the meat internal temp is between 190* and 200* (check with probe thermometer. May take up to 8 or 8 hours).
The blade bone should slide right out of the roast when done correctly.
Shred meat and toss with a wetting mixture to keep meat moist and tender (mixture = 50% margarine % 50% apple juice)
Serve with favorite BBQ sauce.
Enjoy

·
Forgotten but not gone
5,677 Posts
Ok, here's a Q'ing tip for home use.
If you aren't working with a big trailer mounted cooker, you can use your kitchen oven for pulled pork.
Pick up a Boston Butt bone-in pork roast. Place it in an 'oven roasting bag' with a small splash of apple juice. If you have some favorite seasonings, throw them in too.
Set in a pan and place in the oven. Set temp to 250*
Cook like that until the meat internal temp is between 190* and 200* (check with probe thermometer. May take up to 8 or 8 hours).
The blade bone should slide right out of the roast when done correctly.
Shred meat and toss with a wetting mixture to keep meat moist and tender (mixture = 50% margarine % 50% apple juice)
Serve with favorite BBQ sauce.
Enjoy
That all sounds good except the margarine part. I hate margarine. Do you specify margarine instead of butter because you have tried both and like margarine better, or because you just like margarine?

I am going to try the recipe with Land O' Lakes butter if it's cool with you. :zorro:

Thanks for posting it. And welcome!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey, I'm a big fan of butter too. Margarine is very popular on the BBQ comp circuit, and I picked up on it there.
The margarine/apple mix is not used heavily. You just want to moisten the meat where it gives a slight flavor.
Another trick would be to cook the first 2 hours on low heat on your covered grille with wood chips for the smoke taste. After 2 hours, bag it and head for the oven for good temp control and the finish cook.
Try it this cook method....I think you will be very pleased.
Let me know how it turns out.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts