Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I am in the middle of refinishing an old desk that I pulled out of my father-laws-garage. This is what really sparked my interest in woodworking and is why I am going to pursue woodworking after this project is complete. I refinished an old dresser for my daughters room a few years back. Looking at the dresser now I see a lot of things I did that I would do differently. But anyway, I have a few tools to start with, miter saw, table saw, sanders, drills and quite a few hand tools that I acquired when I was working as an electrician. My main focus in woodworking will be furniture. Things that I and my family can use. My first question, of many I'm sure, is what does everyone use for sandpaper? I have a quarter sheet sander and I've been burning through sheets on this refinishing project of mine. There was a lot of paint on the desk and I stripped as much as I could but the amounts that I couldn't strip build up a ton of gunk on the sandpaper and I throw a lot of sheets away because of this. I have been buying the Diablo sandpaper from Home Depot but it seems expensive. I am looking to buy something more in bulk for cheaper. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks.

·
Registered
1,200 Posts
First-- Welcome to the forum!
As with the rest of us--we are our own worst critics when it comes to looking at the product of our labors, and if someone is looking that close---somethin's wrong :eek:.
As for your refinishing project, have you considered using any of the gel type paint/finish removers??? The sand paper can be used afterwards to smooth out the grain. I've used those when I refinished many items in the past with good success.
Dave H

·
Turning Wood Into Art
4,043 Posts
If your anygood with an electric power planer, I would set it fine and take a skim or as many as required over the surface to remove the bulk then sand (unless of course you are dealing with veneer.
Random orbital are IMO better. You can by real cheap ones and have one for each grit, saves you changing papers all the time.

Dave The Turning Cowboy

·
Registered
4 Posts
We Carpenters are our own worst critics its all about learning, what you see wrong on the first job simply don't repeat on the next. Welcome and good look

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Refinishing furniture is different from woodworking but glad to see you taking an interest in both.

I was taught by an old timer to use a paint scraper to start the stripping process.
Get carbide blades and a couple of different sizes and shapes.
Don't skimp on these or they will end up in the box where all the other cheap tools that only work once go.
You'll get the magority of paint and finish off with these.

Then switch to sanding.
A random orbital is your best friend.
Go through all the grits
120 220 320 etc

Then hand sand.
Again go through the grits depending on what the surface is beginning to look like.

One mistake I see a lot people make is using a piece of sandpaper after the grit has been worn off. Fresh sandpaper is imperative.
Also use an air gun to blow off the dust after you have sanded a certain grit. If you don't, the next finer grit just gets clogged with the dust from the former grit and you're just sanding sawdust. It looks like you're creating dust with the new grit but it's just the stuff from the last one.

You'll save a lot of work and paper if you scrape first and use sandpaper the way it is supposed to be used.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I did use the gel-type paint remover. I brushed it on and scraped off paint twice. Most of it comes off but not all of it and its the remaining bit that is clogging my sandpaper. I just wanted to know if there was a type of sandpaper that works well but isn't as expensive as the diablo stuff I buy at Home Depot. I found this stuff online http://www.2sand.com/servlet/the-12...heets/Detail?gclid=COvQ56CY47UCFUZa4AodLUoAHA. Just wondering if anyone has ever tried it or something similar. 12 cents a sheet is much better than 1 dollar a sheet

·
Making sawdust in MS
4,000 Posts
Welcome. Sanding is a necessary evil we all go through. Personally, since I change out the paper frequently, I get as cheap as I can. It's still expensive because I believe in changing sheets frequently to keep a good grit going.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts