Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Man, sorry for your loss, Gideon. I know how close that bond can be. I can't imagine losing my Charlie.

Take care my friend,
Acer

·
Log dog
7,935 Posts
Sorry to hear.
I know what it's like man. Keep your head up high. Good looking pup!!!

·
Registered
22 Posts
gideon said:
His name was Tankala, he was a greyhound. A really slow greyhound. He was a great guy and great friend.

Cancer just got him.
I am very sorry for your loss. I'm not sure if you've read this before or not, but I thought I would share it with you.

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge. There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together. There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor. Those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by. The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.
They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent. His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...

·
Registered
704 Posts
gideon said:
His name was Tankala, he was a greyhound. A really slow greyhound. He was a great guy and great friend.

Cancer just got him.
So sorry Gideon....... I had to put down my golden a couple years ago due to kidney failure/cancer it was very hard. But all will be ok. I know how strong the bond is and I know how you feel... Cry when you need to and laugh when you can... Everything will be ok.... If you need to talk or anything shoot me a PM. Take care man.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
So sorry for your loss man....I just lost my German Shepard a few weeks ago as well, I sure miss her and know what your going through. Just remember, they're not in pain any more...

·
Old School
24,027 Posts
Sometimes it's hard to tell when our pets are in distress. They can be tough at times, and not show or complain about what ails them. All the pets in my life were rescue. Some I knew their age when they joined my family, while others we just had the Vet's best guess.

When they get up in age, or ill, and their time is near, I think about all the good times and love that they gave and received. All of them were provided a great life. Their times with us are great memories. I always look forward to our next pet.

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
My condolences for your loss. Dogs are as much a member of the family as people for a lot of folks and losing an pet can be a devastating thing.
+1 to keeping an eye out for one to rescue when the time is right again.

Best wishes.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk

·
Registered
1,524 Posts
My deepest sympathies for your loss. Like many here I too have had to make that difficult decision. May you find comfort in Tankala's memory and knowing that he is at peace.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
all of my pets were/are rescues to. right now, we have two cats who followed us home and made it clear they wanted to be here.

yesterday was hard. really hard.

he was in serious pain late last week. got him to the vet right away where he spent the night while they did tests. We got the results back late sunday night and I was told it was an untreatable cancer. truth is, I already knew it. his lymph nodes were swelled up by his rear abdomen and he was is pain.

so I was giving pain meds which he did well with for a few days.

yesterday, I went to hearnes to get lumber. I came home, anxious that he was uncomfortable. when I opened the door, he was happy to see me and full of energy.

I took him for a short walk but he made a b-line for the rear car door. "wanna go for a ride?" he barked. so we went for a drive to the park and the boat houses. he wanted to go out so we walked and he charmed who ever made eye contact with him. he got hugs and pets which is usually what happened on our walks.

we got home and I was settling in, gave him dinner and more pain meds. about 8 pm, he was listless and whining again. i called the vet and they recommended upping the dosage. I did. he was still in pain.

I brought him down the vet. They gave him intravenous pain meds and he went to sleep. We spoke, they wanted me to speak with an oncologist. I asked about the meds and they said they'd be stronger and last longer. I said "that's not life. That is only existing for my sake."

I made the call, we said goodbye and off he went. Very peacefully. I'll have his ashes in a few days.

I was hoping for more time but that wasn't to be. At least we had a nice good walk where it was just us being us again which hadn't happened in a while.

Tankala Plvs Vltra.

·
Registered
1,533 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
something I wrote about dogs in general:

"A dog is your best friend no matter what. They are pure of heart and that purity gives their people a certain perspective. While letting them go is so hard, even harder than losing humans in many ways, we are just so much better off having them with us. They hold a mirror up to us which shows the things we need to improve in ourselves. It's a holy relationship borne out of 10's of thousands of years of companionship. It doesn't begin and end with a single one but is a continuation of our history together."

Hell yeah I'll have more dogs.

1 - 20 of 31 Posts