Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I stumbled upon this site asking Google "how do you know when you've sanded enough?" and while the forums provided intelligent & easy to follow instructions it was more like "you need to start off w/ 80 gauge and finish w/ 220 gauge..." when I was looking for more of a "it will feel like glass or silk to the touch." which I found out on my own once I had finished with 220 gauge LOL!

I like to rescue furniture from the side of the road. My neighbour has most of the major tools that he lets me borrow while I stick to the more simple clamps & sanders.

The project I'm working on right now is to sand & seal wood shelving that I have on my balcony that is showing signs of Carpenter bees.

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts
Welcome ! I'm new here too.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,718 Posts
Welcome Aboard

Attachments

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
Welcomw from NH neighbor... This is a great site you stumbled on. Feel free to ask questions and be ready for answers, sometimes conflicting, but mostly correct. Sanding is a good example because I start with 100 grit and end with 150 + a pass with 180 by hand after wetting down the wood. I like the way my work looks just like the person who sands with 400 grit likes the way their work looks. You simply need to chose your preferred method.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts