Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi All, just joined the forums. Seems like a great place with so many experts and great advice. I am just getting into wood working. Have done some 'rough' projects over the years, but just now got a 10x12 space to set up a work shop and start doing some more precision work. Been using an old entry level Cman table saw. In the market for a solid used TS now. I'll be asking for lots of advise on power and hand tool suggestions.

For starters I'm looking at this Delta 10" Contractors Table Saw Model 34-444. Attaching couple of pictures. He is including a dado blade and left/right Dubby jigs. Asking $250 for the set up. Any opinions on this saw and fence quality? Fence looks heavy duty at first glance.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
4,372 Posts
welcome to the forum, SMG - hope you enjoy your stay

·
Registered
Termite
4,320 Posts
Welcome...SMG....there are no "rough" projects anymore. It the "new" thing now. If you gat a chance take a look at Unruh Furniture in kansas city. They understood this and have done very well..

Reactions: SMG

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't have experience with that Delta saw, yet the way things are at the present with delays in manufacturing... I would jump on it for $250.

Welcome to the forums!

Reactions: SMG

·
Registered
Termite
4,320 Posts
I don't have experience with that Delta saw, yet the way things are at the present with delays in manufacturing... I would jump on it for $250.

Welcome to the forums!
×2......Agree.... it's the going price in KC without the extras

Reactions: AJ.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Welcome SMG. I have the Dubby crosscut sleds (from Jerry Cole, In-Line Industries). Many woodworkers will make their own sleds, but I found the Dubby to be very accurate, especially for making mitered crosscuts. Two new Dubbys (left and right) cost more than your deal for $250. I would jump on it too.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks all for the replies. William, great to hear about the Dubbys. Even though these are the older design with wood guides rather than. Extruded Al, guess it should work fine. I went ahead and sealed the deal. Picking it up tomorrow- can’t wait 😄. First project- a bookcase as a gift to my niece.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
Welcome to the forum. That old Delta Contractors saw is an excellent saw, The new ones are junk. That old contractors saw it definitely worth the expense upgrading the fence. Once in a while you can nail a good buy on a fence.
I had several of them at different shop locations. I will see if I can find some photos of my older ones with my own personal upgrades.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 · (Edited)
Welcome to the forum. That old Delta Contractors saw is an excellent saw, The new ones are junk. That old contractors saw it definitely worth the expense upgrading the fence. Once in a while you can nail a good buy on a fence.
I had several of them at different shop locations. I will see if I can find some photos of my older ones with my own personal upgrades.

Parrdan and Tony B. thanks. Just picked up the saw. The fence is actually quite heavy, but I'll have to see if its parallel to the blade - hopefully it has fine adjustments. The bearing surfaces are all metal to metal, so its definitely doesn't feel super smooth and quiet, but I have nothing to compare to. Seems the saw hasn't seen very heavy use. Looking forward to plan my first project. First order of business is to build a dust hopper for the bottom and get a simple dust collector.

·
Premium Member
4,912 Posts
You really wont know how well the saw works until you actually use it. Oftentimes we can get too carried away with fit and finish. Check things as best you can and cut some wood. Then check the cut pieces for square, parallel, etc,. That fence isn't the greatest, but it's not all that bad either. For the price you paid, investing in a new fence system would be worth it.
There is a company in Texas that makes really good after market fences and rails, I cant remember the name right now, but it will come to me. Something like "super cool tools". But again, use the saw for a while and you may perfectly happy with it 'as is'.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Thanks all for the replies. William, great to hear about the Dubbys. Even though these are the older design with wood guides rather than. Extruded Al, guess it should work fine. I went ahead and sealed the deal. Picking it up tomorrow- can’t wait 😄. First project- a bookcase as a gift to my niece.
Congratulations. When you get it home, I would take the time to do a thorough set up. That would consist of the blade running perfectly parallel to the miter slot. The blade being parallel to the fence (if out maybe 1 or 2/1000 open at the back of the blade. There are plenty of youtube videos that can guide you through a setup. I t will be well worth your time making you familiar with your saw, and making the saw a safer, more accurate machine. Welcome and have fun.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts