Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I made one of those for the first time a couple nights ago!
Reindeer.jpg

I haven't sanded or done anything else to it yet, this was mostly a test run. I've since changed over to a much smaller blade on my BS, and I plan to make a bunch of them over the next few weeks. Do you hand sand the entire thing or use a sander for any parts?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
I've never actually sanded them completely - only lightly pass fine grit over the edges to remove any "burrs" and over the body to remove any overly obvious blade lines. The ones I have made were all about 7 inches tall, so they're kinda small & delicate...sometimes I have snapped an appendage or horn tip off from gripping too hard while sanding, so I'm like "grrrrrr!" Where's my Tite-Bond?

P.s. My smallest bandsaw blade is a 1/4"...I ruined my last 1/8" blade on a buried screw :(

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
I used a 1/2" or 5/8" blade for the first one which was too big. I loaded a 1/4" Bosch blade (from the big box store) and started into a few of them last night. I was less than pleased with the blade so I need to find a better source for the small blades. Where do you get yours from?

Also, it happens to the best of us. I was cutting up some pallet wood or these last night and cut right through a buried nail. Oh well, at least it wasn't my Forest WWII right?

·
Registered
200 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I haven't gotten any replacement blades yet...am still searching for a good place. I only got the saw about 2 yrs ago from a luthier who builds electric bases in his basement workshop, and he gave me all the blades that he had for it at the time - a 1/2, a couple 1/4s , a couple 3/8s, and three 1/8s.
There is a Rockler Woodworking shop about 30 mins from home, they may have the size I need(90 inches, for a 12" Sears bandsaw). I can always go online via Amazon, I guess...me be one of those Timberwolf blades that seem to be the rage right now.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts