Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

· Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased a used Jet 1642EVS-2. It is 15 months old and in perfect shape. Getting a Vicmarc 120 chuck and 12 gouges. The whole thing was $2K. I think it was a great deal. I have been turning on a Shop Smith 510. I bring the "new" lathe home tomorrow, can't wait. From what I have read this is a very good lathe, it is wired for 230/2HP, I will have to unplug the dust collector; a guys gotta' have priorities;). I have 812 board feet of Big Leaf Maple that I want to turn into yarn bowls, bowls, wine stoppers and the list goes on. Hopefully you guys and gals can let me know if you think this is a good deal. Thanks for all of your help. ken

7,222 Posts
If you have purchased the lathe, then what anyone thinks about the deal is mute.

It is a good lathe. Just pick it up, get it into your shop and start using it. The money is spent, enjoy the purchase. :thumbsup:

· Registered
1,232 Posts
Like the man says: once the money is spent and you're happy it's all moot.:yes::yes:
Like you I started on my 510 and found the limitations really quickly and moved onto bigger and better.
Git going so you can post pics!
Dave H

· Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
I think you got a good deal as well. That's actually the lathe I'm hoping to get in a couple of years. My one recommendation based on several people who I know own it is to build a weight box into the bottom of it and fill it with 200 pounds or so of sand or cement blocks. It seems to help alot with any potential movement and/vibration.

Mark

· Pain in the A$$
1,904 Posts
khowald said:
Thank you to all. I only have about 790 board feet of the spalted maple to get rid of yet. ken
I wish I had some of that. I'd like to make a couple of picture frames and a few other items. SM is hard to come by here.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.