Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Saw someone doing this on instagram and well, Im making one just like it.
Used Amargo Amargo wood and superclear slow curing epoxy.
Bought one of those square molds from Crafted Elements. They are made from a strong plastic (HDPE) that will release epoxy easily.

I would like to add another color the green, just a little bit to make a nice swirl effect. Was thinking of using Yellow. Any suggestion

Brown Rectangle Wood Font Beige

Green Rectangle Azure Wood Floor

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I case you guys are wondering.... I used hot glue to stick the wood pieces to the mold. it worked well and the wood hasnt moved yet. I poured the epoxy in 2 sessions. first did a 5mm pour and made sure the bottom of the wood was sealed agaisnt the mould to avoid bubbles popping up. then did a second pour that went all the way to the top.
Dumb mistake #1: Inicially I wanted to have the epoxy settle on top and create a nice mirror finish, but I forgot I had wrote numbers on the wood pieces and forgot to errase them... oh well, gonna have to sand it.

·
Premium Member
5,159 Posts
Dumb mistake #1: Inicially I wanted to have the epoxy settle on top and create a nice mirror finish, but I forgot I had wrote numbers on the wood pieces and forgot to errase them... oh well, gonna have to sand it.
And so, do you think you were the only one to ever do that? LOL

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I think it turned out pretty good. I did not do my best containing the bubbles, forgot to paint the side of the wood with epoxy before doing the second pour. Had some bubbles burst there but since I used lots of coloring, the bubbles are barely noticeable.

Still need to refine the corners. Not sure what im gonna do there.

Rectangle Wood Textile Font Floor

1 - 4 of 4 Posts