Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
I move my tool rest up and down all the time for various cuts. I learned about the PVC trick or even using hose clamps but after years of turning learned that there are many reasons to not always have the tool rest on the center line.
for pull cuts I prefer the tool rest really low so I can get the wing of the tool more vertical for a cleaner safer cut. When using the skew I like to cut about 11 oclock on the spindle which often requires raising the tool rest. If you watch my latest video on turning a Rosette I show how raising the tool rest way up can make turning beads on faceplate turnings easier.
Even using a scraper, on the outside of bowl or on a spindle you should be scraping at or below center, on the inside of a bowl you should be scraping at or above center. Since you should be scraping with the tip lower than the handle this requires moving the tool rest a little.
That's just my opinion of course. I know a lot of older books suggest setting the tool rest on center but I think it limits the quality and versatility of the cuts can you do with modern tools.
I'm going to do a video on tool rest height but won't have time to do it until after I get back from my demo out west. Look for it in late november.

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Good tip. :thumbsup:
I use the other method but both work. Even though I seldom work at center I scribed a line at the center point. With the long post of a Nova it makes it much easier. I may some time scribe another line 1/4" off for the center of a 1/2" bowl gouge. I only use it for bowl work but it doesn't get in the way for anything else as it just stays on the post loose.

John, look forward to your video.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,313 Posts
I started cutting PVC pipe to set the hight for your tool rest sets the middle every time
Just cut the PVC to the length needed to set the height wanted, then slice it down the middle - making a half - pipe than can be set against the rest to locate, tighten the rest, then remove the piece of PVC. Make several for your favorite rest heights, and mark with a sharpie. Oh yeah - cutting them off square will help. :laughing:

1 - 5 of 5 Posts