Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I'm new here, and although I have been doing odd projects for years I am branching out and trying to create pieces of art that I will subsequently sell. That said I'm still learning some tricks and techniques and would appreciate any constructive feedback (if you don't like it, tell me why so I can improve).

Here is my first completed lamp project. It is made from Utah Juniper sanded to 500 grit. It has 3 coats of water based polyeurethane. You can't really tell from the picture but I did break through the side once when drilling the hole for the cord, it was patched. The deer antler is white tail. Everything was harvested from dead and down or antler sheds (no deer were harmed in the making of this lamp). All new electrical components were used.

I like how the lamp turned out, I'm not liking how difficult it is to sell handcrafted items (and get paid for my time). My unofficial market research has turned up that most people do not want to pay more than $50 (after expenses that means my time would be somewhere around $4/hr).

Any feedback on how I can improve my product, and how I can market would be awesome. Thanks in advance and I look forward to learning from everyone!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have various lengths of drill bits, up to 36 inches. I started at the bottom and went in until I broke out the side at the bend (curvature seen in pics 2 and 3). Then I angled to the top from there.

I'm working on some other lamps, I think I like this niche. I will post as they are completed.

This lamp is 19 inches to the top of the wood.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.