Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, my name Josh, and I've finally decided invest in some tools and get working on some projects. I've always been intrigued with woodworking, but never had the opportunity or space to start until now. You probably wouldn't peg me as a woodwooker if you met me, I'm usually found lifting heavy at the gym or climbing a cliff face, kind of a fitness nerd really. I recently built myself a lifting platform and some bumper plate racks, which required me to buy a circular saw (two big toolboxes full of tools from being a mechanic and not one saw, lol). Both were just drill and screw together, quick and dirty, but it was still fun, and i wanted to do more. My first real project will be a workbench, and then I will be taking some requests from the woman as she seems to have some ideas. First off I knew i wanted some decent power tools, so I checked craigslist for a couple days and got lucky. I picked up an old craftsman table saw, contractor series 3hp, belt drive motor, with a beismeyer fence on it,. I payed the guy $100 for the saw and a pile of blades and clamps. It had some problems: lots of rust, a broken bolt stuck in the motor mount, missing blade guard, cracked belt, and gunked up gearing. I am almost done with cleaning, lubricating, stripping, painting, waxing, and repairing various components. I have been taking lots of pictures so look forward to a post in the power tools forum soon. I also payed $150 for a craftsman radial arm saw with a sturdy metal table from another guy, but have yet to start in on it. Came with the manual and some blades, there is some slop in the side to side play but after reading the manual the adjustment procedure looks promising. Other than that it looks basically flawless. Very absorbed in getting my tools in tip top shape, but hopefully ill be on to using them soon, at which point im sure ill be doing a lot more reading these forums. Im in it now!

·
Banned
6,836 Posts
Welcome to the forum.:thumbsup:

The one thing I noticed and just for your info. I have never seen a 3hp contractor saw. That is probably a a max developed 3hp which is actually 1 to 1.5 hp. This is only important because you will probably want to use thin kerf blades.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Oh, I see. It just says 3hp on the front of it so I assumed. On closer inspection the motor data plate says 1.5hp. Bummer, thought it was better.

·
Cedar Box Maker
165 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Welcome from Texas !!!

Welcome to the forum Josh.

I have an old Craftsman saw myself. Tuned it up, and added an aftermarket fence. Cuts real nice.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I bought my craftsman 1.5 horse contractor saw with the standard craftsman 24/12 fence on it 20 years ago when I was just getting started and didn't have much budget. I always thought I would be dying to get a "real" saw someday. I've run a gazillion and three feet of mostly red oak through the old beast and I have no plans on upgrading it anytime soon. The only time I wished I had a little more power is when I did a couple hundred square staircase balusters out of 8/4 stock, but I got them done with slow feed. Thin kerf blade is definitely the way to go- don't cheap out on the blade and you'll be fine.

Oh and by the way, I have used a few different 3 and 5 horse cabinet saws belonging to others over the years, so I do know what I might be missing.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts