Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building a modular deck landing/ stair system. Basically the landing is 6x6. 25" off the ground with 2 steps down on 3 sides.My question is I have the option to use 4x4's instead of joist hangers with 2 lag bolts from the joist into the 4x4. Which way would I be better off? Hanger or no hanger and 4x4 instead? 12" on center 2x6 joists.

·
Registered
197 Posts
If you are saying you will lag into the end grain of the 4x4, I don't think that's a very strong joint. Also, weight on the deck will eventually will split the ends. If I misunderstood and you are lagging into edge grain, that will be plenty strong

·
Registered
62 Posts
I always use the hangers and never attach my decks,porches to the house. a free standing deck doesn't affect our taxes, but if it's attached it's part of the structure. we were being taxed $180. for having a porch on the front of our old house.

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Wood Table Lumber Picnic table Plywood

Wood Plywood Lumber Beam Table

Okay now I have another problem. How do I determine the length of the mitred stringers.? It's a 3 sided 3 step landing. I went and cut all the stringers, top step is 10" lower 2 are 11. But the corners are way out if wack.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.