Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Up till now, I've always used wood from big box stores...now, I have a couple pieces of soft maple, that are 7 1/4" wide, rough cut....my jointer is only 6" wide.....do I joint one face, then flip the board end for end and joint the rest of that face, or do I just run it through my planer? Sorry if this question is very elementary, but I 'm still learning...Thanks.....

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Thanks, yes the faces are parallel, just rough cut. I have jointed one edge. Will run it through the planer......thanks, again.....

ETA: the wood has been kiln dried, and has been stickered in my shop for about 4 weeks.....

·
Registered
834 Posts
I would use a planer sled for the job. Just google it if you need a little more information then that. There is also way way to joint 12inches using a 6 inch jointer but I can't seem to find a link right now. Went back and had a second look here it is http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Jointing_wide_boards. I never used this method but I only heard good things about it.

Reactions: Wizard1500

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

·
Registered
239 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
most jointers do not let you partially joint a face, not sure the results would be acceptable. when you can, rip the board and process it as 2 boards, then reglue. otherwise, planing is the next best option. in that case, i lay it on a flat surface and try to flatten one face with hand tools/belt sander for best results out of planer.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.