Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an old Central Machinery 6" joiner. One of the knife blade holder has the screw holes worn and will no longer tighten down. Either the screw holes are stripped or the screws are stripped. Can not find any of these parts on-line. Can any one help with finding these parts or offer a solution to the fix.

·
Registered
489 Posts
Need to know which is stripped, can you remove a screw from another blade holder to try on the suspect.:eek:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The screws are 1/4X20 and there is 4 to a knife holder. 2 of the screws are stripped and 2 of the holes in the knife holder

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
I'm sure the hole could be re-tapped however since you don't want the blade to hit you in the face I would have a machine shop do the repair.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I am taking the bar to a shop this week to see if it can be re-tapped. I am not sure if there is enough room for the re-tap. If not I guess I will be in the market for a good used jointer. If so any recommendations which model I should look for?

·
Registered
26,880 Posts
I am taking the bar to a shop this week to see if it can be re-tapped. I am not sure if there is enough room for the re-tap. If not I guess I will be in the market for a good used jointer. If so any recommendations which model I should look for?
They may have to re-tap it to a larger size set screw but I bet it can be done. Problem is the head is weight sensitive. If that is done and there seems to be more vibration with the jointer it may be necessary to re-tap all of the set screw holes on all of the bars. One larger screw may throw the head out of balance.

If you do end up buying another jointer I would look for a used industrial jointer like a Powermatic or an older Delta.

·
where's my table saw?
28,591 Posts
just let a machinist decide

The screws are 1/4X20 and there is 4 to a knife holder. 2 of the screws are stripped and 2 of the holes in the knife holder
A machine shop may decide to retap or reweld or thread with a larger size or close Metric or redrill all the holes are retap them all....who knows? :blink:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts