Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently purchased a new Jet JJ-6CSDX 6" jointer. I really like it. I have never had a stationay jointer before so I'm not sure if my problem is in the setup or the operator.

The problem is that if I have piece of stock that needs face planed with 3 or 4 passes one side of the stock ends up thicker than the other. If the stock was even thickness before planing it will have uneven thickness from side to side after planing as if one side of the knife rotor was higher than the other. I have checked the setup multiple times per the instruction manual and all seems well.

Is this a common problem due to technique more than setup? It's as if I was putting more pressure on the side of the stock against the fence. I try to place the least amount of pressure on the stock as possible when face planing to prevent flexing.

Anybody have any ideas?

Mike

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
MD, if you do not have a dial indicator setup, go get one. Sounds like your knives are not parallel to the bed. make very sure you are measuring at the HIGH point of the rotation, you must check each knife at several points over its entire length.
Jet probably makes a knife setting jig, I know Rockler carries some.
Jointer setup will really try anyones patience but it must be 100% dead on. The jointed face is your reference for ALL following dimensions.
good luck, breathe in, breathe ouuuuuuuuuuuuuuuut;):yes:

1 - 2 of 2 Posts