Woodworking Talk banner

Jointer Set Up

8K views 10 replies 8 participants last post by  solidwoods 
#1 ·
HI ALL. i am newbie and have a question. i have a 6 in. joiner made by general mfg. co. model 1180. the knives are brand new,never used. the in and out feed tables are adjustable and i am wondering what are the general rules for setting these tables, the jointer was given to me and i have never used one before, i thought it might be a good addition to my shop. any info. would be appreciated.:no:

#2 ·
Welcome to the site Spike0. The outfeed table should be set perfectly flush with the blade when they are at the top of the apex. The infeed table is set to the desired amount of material you want to take off on each pass. The outfeed table is set flush to the cutter so that as the material is removed it then supports the board so when you get to the end you don't get what is called snipe or a dipped cut at the end of the board. Practice with some scrap to get the outfed table set right. If it's too high the board will hang up on it when you start to push it through.

#4 ·
Take 2, 4 foot boards. Run them over the jointer, start by putting the board on the infeed table and as you push it over the cutterhead continue to the out feed table and keep the pressure on the outfeed table so the board will end up being straightened and not just plane a 1/16" (or whatever the infeed is set at). Then do this to the second board. Now place the two newly jointed edges together and notice if there is a gap on the inside or outside edges. If they are perfectly flat then it is set up properly. if you have a gap in the middle of the 2 boards (concave) then you need to raise the outfeed table. If the gap is at the edges of the board (convex) then you need to lower the outfeed table. Keep going until you have it set up perfectly straight. Try to use stable pieces of wood that do not change shape when material is removed. (African Mahogany comes to mind).

#9 ·
Hi spike,

As a "newbie" woodworker, I would recommend that you buy the woodworking Book / Video combination by Mark Duginske. "Mastering Woodworking Machines". The video will show very clearly how to tune and use woodworking machines. It will make you very comfortable with your machines, and competent to tune them. He also demonstrates the extreme end of using these machines, and displays what is possible, with practice.

If I had to pick the book or video, it would be the video.

It is an excellent resource for all woodworkers. Produced by Taunton Press.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.