Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I give up. I need help getting my Delta 8" 37-380 jointer back in working order. I don't think there is anything majorly wrong with it, but I can't get it set up right.

I need someone to check the tables for co-planar,if off, shim it up and reset a new set of knives. All while teaching me to do it. I have been woodworking a couple years as a hobby and have changed the knives once in the machine. I thought they were close, but now I am not sure. I have been messing with this thing for about a month now, trying to get it back in shape, but it is not going right. I have had many great folks her give me info, but I need a pro to show me and get me on the right track. I feel once I get it set up right and shown the right way, I will be able to do it in the future. I just can't get those knives right. They always seem low in the middle.

So if there are any woodworker/jointer experts in the Baltimore/Annapolis/DC area that want to help, please let me know and we can discuss compensation and a time to meet up.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Sorry to hear that you are still having difficulties. You may want to search for a machinery dealer that sells and services, or knows someone they can refer you to. Just be careful as there have been a lot of closures in the woodworking industry and many of the dealers pick up equipment at auctions as that is where the money seems to be. Not so much in sales and service. Delta should also be able to connect you with a field service person. Other than that, I would call a wholesale lumber supplier (not lowes, home depot....) They often sell hardwood moldings and either have someone in house, or know who to call when there is a problem beyond the scope of everyday operations occurs.

As an example, when I first started teaching woodworking I had a 24" Powermatic planer that needed service. Of course no manuals, beyond the experience of our maintenance department, no internet... I called my hardwood supplier, and they referred me to Ca woodworking Equip. in Los Angeles. They immediately connected me with a guy named George Wulff (now deceased) that came out and set it up showing me step by step. He had such a long experience that he had accumulated a lot of obsolete parts, to the point that Delta would call him for hard to get, or find parts. This is during the time that Delta really looked after their customers and actually had a good parts division. This was shown by them knowing the guys in the field. If they didn't have it they would help you find it. (George worked on everything, straight line rip, moulders,... as well as brands. He seemed to have lots of contacts.)

This is the type of guy that you are looking for. There are many that can do the job, but with all the difficulties/frustrations you've had it would be nice to find someone highly recommended. Good luck.

·
where's my table saw?
28,579 Posts
Paul I wish I could help in person

I give up. I need help getting my Delta 8" 37-380 jointer back in working order. I don't think there is anything majorly wrong with it, but I can't get it set up right. I just can't get those knives right. They always seem low in the middle.
Here's the real puzzle to me, "low in the middle". HUH?
Who sharpened those knives? If they are set correctly at the edges, they will be correct in the center/middle. I understand your frustration, but I really need to ask if this video was of no help. :blink:

If you were to raise both tables to the same height so a straight edge supported in blocks, like in the video or a 48" or 72" level will span over top of the cutterhead not touching the knives, what do you see?

You may be closer than you think. There have been several times that folks here have wanted to give up on a repair or an adjustment and they were just 1 step from a success, but we hung in there until we got it right. I'm sure that's the case here, but if you don't have the gumption, I would understand.

If you don't get a volunteer from here or don't want to keep trying:
A woodworking school will have a qualified person who could help.
A large woodworking sales store will have someone.
A Woodworker's Guild will have knowledgeable members.
Keep this thread posted. OK?

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks. Yes the video was some help. Everyone has been great. I will keep plugging away. I have contacted a member of the local WW'ing club and he said he would get back to me, but that was a few weeks ago. Must be busy with the holidays. If I don't get it soon I will start calling the other suggestions. The knives I am installing are brand new. We will see.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here is everything you'll need to know how to set up a jointer.http://woodworkerszone.com/wiki/index.php?title=Jointer_Blade_Alignment I know the first time I tried to work on my jointer it was very frustrating but when I finally learn how to its goes so much quicker now. I am no expert but I would say that the knives are set wrong that is the #1 reason for jointer problems. Since I have springs and not gibs my style is very barbaric but it works for me. I use this http://www.wixey.com/heightgauge/index.html to set my knives. I'll try to get to the shop to take a few pics of my process to see if that helps you out.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Here is some pics of what I was talking about in my last post. If you close to where the woodworking show is in January I my be able to swing by if I get the chance to go.

Attachments

·
Scotty D
4,479 Posts
Here is everything you'll need to know how to set up a jointer.
:blink: All I see at that link is how to set knives. There is nothing about leveling tables or setting them coplanar, which must be done before setting knives. Knives are easy. :smile:

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks guys. I have the Oneway Multi Gauge for measuring knife heights and it works well. I have been trying not to spend $100 on a 50" straight edge, but wonder if all my different 48" levels and aluminum rulers, I own are truly straight. I bought a 12' 3/4"x 3/8" piece of aluminum bar today and cut off a 6' section to try and use as a straight edge. The rest is to be used for TS sled runners. My problem is more technique/skill. I think I have seen every video/written tutorial on jointer setup made. I will give it another go tomorrow, starting with trying to get the tables co-planer, then moving onto the knives. Problem is so many things can be out of alignment that it is overwhelming me. That is why I was looking for someone, more knowledgeable, to set me straight, pun intended, and make sure that things are right with my jointer. And to teach me hands on style. Then once I know it was all good, future knife changes would hopefully be easier. I will keep you informed.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry to post this in two different threads, but some people are helping me in one and not the other and I wanted to get some quick info, while I am on a roll. OK, I think I got the beds as close to co-planer as they are going to get for now definitely within a .002"-.004" range, I think. Then I got to work on setting some some new knives. I am wondering if the blade height tolerances are close enough or if I need to get back in there and try again. These measurements are off the outfeed table with a Oneway Multi-gauge dial indicator. The first blade is .0015 across at the front and back. The second blade is .002 back and .0025 front. The third blade is darn close to .002 front and back. I could keep messing with it, but every time I change one thing another goes in a different direction. Something else that is weird is that all the knives seem to be .001"-.002" lower in the middles. I am wondering if I have a slight dip in the out feed table, where the gauge base sits? So should I leave them set the way they are or go for perfection? I still need to put the fence back on and run some wood on the jointer, but wanted to see what you guys said first.

·
Registered
834 Posts
Run some wood and see what happens.

Reactions: Paul W Gillespie

·
Registered
4,801 Posts
Paul, one thing to keep in mind is 1/64" =0.0156"; 1/128" = 0.0078". If you've got the measurements dialed to 0.002 or less that's a 1/3 of 1/128" or smaller than a beezdik ;-)

If you're wondering about a dip in the outfeed table, have you laid a straight across the bed where you're multi gauge is setting to check?

·
Registered
159 Posts
Have you ran a board? How's it look? You have that dialed in so close I can't see having a problem. It measures low in the middle? Like saw dust says , you are going micro on that measuring. Run a board and ask you wife if it looks ok..:)

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Have not ran a board yet, but will soon. I will let you all know. Del, I watch those, before, but thanks for posting. The woodshiper one is very detailed, but he is the one that got me all worried about being within .001-.003 with all my measurements. It kind of got me frozen in fear when I could not them to exactly line up. I hunkered down yesterday and started from scratch. I think I got the tables co-planer, close enough, and the knives are also real close, as you can see from my above measurements. I am hoping that all is well and look forward to getting back to woodworking. Thanks all.

·
Registered
1,183 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Just got her back in he regular spot and hooked back up. Ran a board and the first couple of passes filled my heart with dread. Bad snipe at the back of the board. From my many hours of watching online tutorials and reading all the tips and write ups, I knew that this was most likely caused by the out feed table being too low. It took a couple of tries raising and lowering it, but I think I got it right now. I ran board about 3" in and then stopped the machine. Holding the board tight to the fence and the in feed table shows the gap at the out feed table. I then raised the out feed table until the gap was gone. This has given me a nice cut. I was freaking out at first, but so far, so good. we will see.

I then took a board and scribbled pencil on the face and face jointed it until gone. Holding the newly jointed face tightly against the fence I then edge jointed it. The two newly jointed sides check out square with my adjustable 6" square. I think I am back in business.

The new Titan knives really made the QSWO nice and smooth. I do believe I am getting the hand of reading grain.

So this is my tale of jointer problems. I really hope they are solved. I want to thank everyone for their help. This is an awesome site, with awesome contributors. I will update if I have any problems when I get back into really jointing some wood, which will be soon as I work on my Arts & Crafts style coffee table.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Paul:
Google "Bob Vaughn jointer" . He has several YouTube videos that may help. He is extremely knowledgeable in this area.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts