Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been looking at some used jointers on Craigslist. There are a couple of Powermatic 6 inch for $750 and another for $600. The 600 one he seems firm on the price but the picture shows service rust on the bed and back stand. Anyway to get the rust off of it? It's also a 2000 year machine.

·
crosseyed & dyslexic
589 Posts
There are a bunch of different methods of dealing with surface rust.
I would do a search here to find those threads.
Not much you can do for pitting though.

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
The rust comes off pretty easy with your orbital sander with 220 grit paper. In no time it would look brand new and just needs a little wax.

·
Registered
996 Posts
Steve Neul said:
The rust comes off pretty easy with your orbital sander with 220 grit paper. In no time it would look brand new and just needs a little wax.
When you use a power sander, does the rust stay in the sander and come off on the wood? I know you'd use new paper but does the sander come clean?

·
7,222 Posts
When you use a power sander, does the rust stay in the sander and come off on the wood? I know you'd use new paper but does the sander come clean?
The sander should come clean if dry sanded.

A number of hand plane restoration threads in the Hand Tools forum. Rust is a common issue for hard tool restoration.

I prefer to use wet-dry paper with either water or WD-40. You will be surprised how fast superficial rust can be removed.

As Steve mentioned, start with 220 grit, then move up the grits.

If you want to dip the pieces in a solution, use oxalic acid, also called Wood Bleach.

http://www.woodworkingtalk.com/f11/first-time-using-oxalic-acid-rust-removal-48107/

·
Log dog
7,933 Posts
That's not to bad.
Like Dave said, some wet dry sandpaper and
W-d 40 will remove. Than I'd follow up with steel wool and paste wax.

·
Registered
27,647 Posts
I don't use the same paper sanding wood as I did on the metal but I've never had to clean the sander too before using it on wood again. The rust on that jointer isn't any worse than I had on a shaper I just bought. I think they used the shaper to hold their soft drinks. It had can circles all over it.

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well the two powermatics I was looking at were sold. I ended up buying this Jet from Craigslist for now for $175. It seems clean and the blades didn't look to bad. I just need to get it adjusted now to cut half way decent. Think this will work fine for now and upgrade at another time.

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts