Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
I don't exactly understand your comment... Are you asking which type to replace with? and what do your abbreviations mean?

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
Jointer knives are typically not a proprietary design, so you can get them from after market manufacturers and will likely wind up with a higher quality product. Check Infinity Tools, or Holbren. There are others, I just can't think of them at the moment.

·
Registered
1,008 Posts
need to replace jointer knives craftsman 6-1/8". would like at least s/s or h/s. thanks. carl.
I'm guessing he means stainless steel or hardened steel. I've never seen stainless jointer knives, but they may be out there. I usually get mine (Freud 6") off of ebay. Try looking there.

·
Registered
579 Posts
I've purchased them from Amazon. They have a ton of them in many sizes. Measure the length, width & thickness of yours & see what they have.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I'm guessing he means stainless steel or hardened steel. I've never seen stainless jointer knives, but they may be out there. I usually get mine (Freud 6") off of ebay. Try looking there.
I wouldn't want either, but he probably meant HSS (high speed steel) but stainless would be too soft to hold an edge and hardened steel too brittle. And really hard to sharpen!

·
Registered
26,984 Posts
Are you sure the knives need replacing? I still have the original knives on my craftsman jointer that I bought in 1972. The 6" knives are not vehicle specific to craftsman. Any 6" knives would work. There are a bunch listed on ebay.

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
need to replace jointer knives craftsman 6-1/8". would like at least s/s or h/s. thanks. carl.
make yourself a sharping jig and use like 1000 grit or finer to toutch up the edge, be carefull it will still cut skin, just sharpen them in the unit , they make sharper's for just that kind of job, now if you take them out , i had a sear's jointer and i tried to get them back in , and it took me a long time and i was never satafied with the install, it may have been just me ? the out feed table doesn't move so the snip may be real bad,the knives have to be just about perfect, i got rid of that piece of iron, never will i have one with out both bed's that move, now this is my opion, so other's love them, but not me good luck try sharpen them

·
Hobbyist wood-butcher
1,587 Posts
sounds like a lot of good advice so far. I know When I decide to finally replace/upgrade my jointer knives, I will seriously look into the spiral Helix blade set at holbrum. I was fortunate to see some in action, and you get almost no marks on the wood from the milling, or at least NONE that I could see.

http://www.holbren.com/spiral-cutterhead/

Reactions: raskgle

·
Registered
336 Posts
I have the grizzly jointer 6" with the spiral cutting head on it. I have not touched it since I installed it. All the separate blades are still in original position, and are doing great. it has been three years since I installed. There are no marks what so ever on the wood like the straight blades leave. I highly recommend a spiral cutting head.

Reactions: thegrgyle
1 - 11 of 11 Posts