Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to build a vanity for our master bathroom. It is going to end up being 98" long so I planned on splitting the cabinets up into 3 separate pieces, two - 36” sink bases and one - 24” set of drawers (there will be filler strips at each end). These will be face frame cabinets with full overlay doors. My question is what type of screws do you use to join the face frames together? I’m sure everyone will have their own opinion so I am curious to hear them. My plan is to attach the face frames from inside the center drawer bank so you won’t see the heads.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I use 2 1/2 square head also but in regards to your cabinet design there is no need for filler strips. Build your boxes 3/4 to 1 inch smaller than your frame let the extra hang over at the wall side. This way you have know fillers and you have room to scribe to the wall. You may also consider making the center section a few inches deeper and let it bump out. This breaks the line of cabs up, and you do not have the two wide sections where the face frames would join. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

image-4286719531.jpg

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I use 2 1/2 square head also but in regards to your cabinet design there is no need for filler strips. Build your boxes 3/4 to 1 inch smaller than your frame let the extra hang over at the wall side. This way you have know fillers and you have room to scribe to the wall. You may also consider making the center section a few inches deeper and let it bump out. This breaks the line of cabs up, and you do not have the two wide sections where the face frames would join. Here is a pic of what I am talking about.

View attachment 80793

Thanks for the tip on the ends instead of fillers. I am designing full overlay doors and drawers so you wont see the wide sections between. We are also going to put a bank of drawers with a cabinet on the counter only 12" deep to give the vanity some visual depth. I attached a picture, I know it doesn't show full overlay doors/drawers, but this is similar to the look we are going for.

Attachments

1 - 5 of 5 Posts