Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How much room do you leave a dado cut when making shelves for them to be painted before assembly? If you use a 1/2" shelf and it fits perfect in that 1/2" dado cut but when you paint it with Latex Paint, it does not fit. Do you make the dado wider and if so how much wider to allow paint thickness or do you sand the dado cut a little until the shelf fits?

-Scott

·
Registered
26,216 Posts
How much room do you leave a dado cut when making shelves for them to be painted before assembly? If you use a 1/2" shelf and it fits perfect in that 1/2" dado cut but when you paint it with Latex Paint, it does not fit. Do you make the dado wider and if so how much wider to allow paint thickness or do you sand the dado cut a little until the shelf fits?

-Scott
I usually assemble first and then paint. Glue won't hold on painted surfaces. If you are going to do it that way you might mask off the ends of the shelves going into the dado and stick a piece of 1/2" scrap in the dado to keep as much paint out of the dado as you can.

·
510 Posts
I agree with Steve. However if you are brush painting, an assembled cabinet can take a long time to paint.

I've masked off the dadoes (time consuming too).

I've made narrow strips to place in the grooves before painting. This was quick, but a small amount of touchup was required to smooth out the joint. This is the method I would use if I were doing this again.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts