Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering what the best practice here is. I need a sheet of red oak in 1/4" in a 14" x 8" size. The wood I have is only 6" wide so I would need to glue up 3 pieces and then rip it down to that dimension. Since the final product is wider than the opening of a planer, is it best to hand plane it?

·
7,222 Posts
I would plane my stock to the 1/4in thickness.

For this short length you should be able to clamp along the joint to get good alignment and then hand plane/sand/scrape out any small variations after the glue sets.

When I have done this I have clamped along either side of the glue joint, since I like to see the squeeze out to confirm I have glue where needed. I put masking tape on the underside of my clamping blocks so that they do not stick to the wood in case any glue gets underneath.

I then clamp for recommended duration and remove the blocks, cleanup the squeeze out while it is fluid and easily cleaned with wet sponge, then replace the blocks and clamps and leave for the glue to cure. This will prevent you needing to plane/sand/scrape the excess hard glue.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I guess my issue is with the alignment, when I get it clamped, I use a square to check the alignment and it seems like I can never get it completely flat and aligned but I guess hand planing it would work

·
Sawdust Creator
8,047 Posts
I glue it up, and then take them over to a cabinet shop or hardwood supplier that has a wide belt sander....

A few bucks and they run them through.

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I was super careful to align the edges when I set them in the clamps. Must have gone over it three or four times. Glued it, clamped it, rechecked that all the edges were smooth and lines up.

I'm just disgusted at the results at how uneven it came out lining up with an edge, there are gaps. Maybe taking to a place with a wide sander is a good idea then because I definitely not going to use it the way it is.

·
7,222 Posts
I looked to see if I had any red oak left, but only a 7in piece.

If you want to send me your stock I will cut, glue and sand on my 16in drum sander - if needed.

PM me if interested and I will send you my address.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Where in OC are you? I have a drum sander that we can run it through if you like.
I saw no way to PM you.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Your panel is 14" wide and 8" long? Grain runs 8" way? Can you put a large base on a router spanning a box around the panel? Plane it with a straight bit? Or plane it the old fashioned way?

·
Registered
299 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Dave - thanks wholeheartedly for the offer, that is extremely kind. You have helped me so much on here, I couldn't possibly take you up on that. But I will take you up on all of the good tips you give me :)

dwl, I am in Aliso Viejo, south OC near Irvine (ish) but I think Ganahl might be able to do it? Not sure there.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Dave - thanks wholeheartedly for the offer, that is extremely kind. You have helped me so much on here, I couldn't possibly take you up on that. But I will take you up on all of the good tips you give me :)

dwl, I am in Aliso Viejo, south OC near Irvine (ish) but I think Ganahl might be able to do it? Not sure there.
Hi Noek,
Sorry, I was out of town the last couple of days. Aliso Viejo is close to me, I am in Mission Viejo.
If you still have not done anything with this yet and want to run it through my drum sander let me know.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts