Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Jill...My sig. other...I guess....loves to turn and this is a picture of her project in process shelf....She's gettin' pretty good....;) ;)

Attachments

·
Registered
484 Posts
I think she is pretty good right now and should get some recognition. Nice work Jill, how long have you liked turning?

That green one, is that dye on it? Mitch

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The green one is that way naturally. It's Norfolk Island Pine. When you turn it thin the knots become translucent. It is very hard to turn and very hard to get thin enough to be translucent without a catch and subsequent explosion.....:blink: :blink:

She's going at it pretty slow, and it should be pretty nice...This piece is not the best...The Knots are not centered on the trunk. The nicest one's have the knots centered and they look almost like a star pattern when it's finished...:icon_smile: :icon_smile:

·
Registered
27 Posts
You get Norfolk pine from Norfolk I reckon Kevin :thumbsup:

Satisfied now :laughing:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The stuff grows in Florida....It's prized because the branches grow upward and that's how the star design is made. I picked the 2 piece we got at the AAW symposium last year. That's the only place I've really found it. It's about $20.00 a bf. I got Jill a couple of pieces cuz she had never turned it, but she don't want any more....She said it's too nerve wracking since it's so expensive......:blink: :blink: :laughing: :laughing:

·
Registered
404 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hey Frank....

Nice to hear from you.....I hear you got a LOT of BF off your logging.

Maybe a little more than expected....:glare: :glare:

Maybe you and Alice should load up a BIG truck and come to the cheese....:laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts