Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 28 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
547 Posts
When I started woodworking I soon realized jig making was a large part of it. Some are simple, some are complex. Where possible I write instructions on the jig.
Some commercial jigs have their place too (dovetail jigs, Kreg jigs, etc)
Brian

·
Registered
Termite
6,643 Posts
I have made many, but rarely keep any.

If your more into shop work rather than woodworking, then you'll spend a lot of time of jig making...

·
Registered
780 Posts
One big time saver is setup blocks for router profiles, drawer lock bits, etc. Save a scrap with the proper profile cut into it and you can readjust things to that setting easily.

·
Registered
76 Posts
You see the questions all the time.
Who makes the best router table?
Who makes the best jig for this or that.
I makes me want to scream, BUILD IT!
Trying to stay polite; I say nothing.
I understand buying a jig if your a production shop, but for a hobbyist, I assume most of us are, it makes no sense to me.
You more than likely have enough scraps laying around the shop to make them already.
I've been working wood since the sixties. The only jig I ever bought was a Kreg Pocket hole jig and a Omni jig.
If you look at the jigs at various retailers I cant see why you would spend the money when they can easily be copied.
Jig building, to me any way, is just part of wood working.
Your on a wood working forum so I assume your a wood worker.
So, why dont you just build it?
I'm not trying to ruffle feathers, I'm just curious.
BUILD IT YOURSELF. There's plenty of examples on You Tube.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If I was doing a production type run. I would probably buy the jig, if it was commercially available (Such as a dovetail jig).
Most of my work is one off and a permanent jig is unreasonable, it usually ends up as something screwed to a board to make identical cuts on many pieces and disassembled afterward. I don't have the space to store them.
Double sided tape is your friend.

·
Registered
Termite
6,643 Posts
If I was doing a production type run. I would probably buy the jig, if it was commercially available (Such as a dovetail jig).
Most of my work is one off and a permanent jig is unreasonable, it usually ends up as something screwed to a board to make identical cuts on many pieces and disassembled afterward. I don't have the space to store them.
Double sided tape is your friend.
There are too many jigs to buy them all. I've got shop made router circle jigs that are gold to me.

·
Registered
53 Posts
I have two store-bought jigs. The Keller Dovetail jig and a self-centering dowel jig (can't remember but I think woodcraft or Rockler) They work great and use them frequently. The only homemade jigs I keep at the ready is a spline jig for the table saw and a taper jig for the table saw. I trashed all of my other ones. If I need them again I will just make them.

BTW: I was very surprised how well the Keller jig works. pretty much idiot proof.

·
Premium Member
6,350 Posts
Buying or building, much of this depends on tools and talent. There is really no cut and dried solution, if you have to make a jig to build a jig, step and repeat for example, then you may as well buy one that is commercially made and accurate, however if you already have a jig to build the jig it is another story.

21 - 28 of 28 Posts