Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well this is my second build and I can tell you it took about 100 times more attention to detail. You can really see that 1/32 of an inch that makes it not line up whenever you sand wrong. Luckily, I have my dad who can help me in a tight spot. It's mostly hard maple with a top with a maple piece in between two pieces of walnut. It also has a walnut knob and walnut separators for lack of a better word. The separators are going to be removable and it sits in dadoes on the sides. We don't have a bandsaw so making the separators was interesting. It isn't the easiest thing to shove 2 inch thick walnut through a scrollsaw with a rigged up fence. Anyways, thanks for looking!

ForumRunner_20140208_135259.jpg

ForumRunner_20140208_135318.jpg

ForumRunner_20140208_135327.jpg

ForumRunner_20140208_135344.jpg

ForumRunner_20140208_135357.jpg

·
Registered
588 Posts
Nice, be sure to show us when it is finished too, I'm always looking for ideas to build one for my lady. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Nice, be sure to show us when it is finished too, I'm always looking for ideas to build one for my lady. :thumbsup:
I just wish I knew more to make it more complex. Being 16 and just beginning I'm pretty easily intimidated by some of the projects here. And I will take some finished pictures and toss 'em on here. Just glued it together yesterday! :smile:

·
Registered
407 Posts
I'm 15 and your right it does get very intimidating. I don't have a bandsaw either. And am very curious how you cut that walnut. Can you post a picture of the jig you used to cut it?

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I'm 15 and your right it does get very intimidating. I don't have a bandsaw either. And am very curious how you cut that walnut. Can you post a picture of the jig you used to cut it?
I'm out of town right now! But it was just a piece of maple clamped to the scroll saw table. I just did some measurements and tried to get at straight as possible. As I went I think the fence got askew with the vibrations. But I doctored it up with our benchtop belt sander, and now there is barely any thickness differences. But I had a block of about a 1"×6"×6" piece of walnut and I ripped it with the table saw into two inch strips then stood it on it's side and pushed it through the scroll saw. I got 4 6-inch by 2-inch pieces of pretty thin walnut. Very similar to how you would with a bandsaw.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Well progress has been pretty slow on the project. School really takes it out a kid I tell you what. I've chiseled out places for the hinges, and added a chain to the sides to prevent to box opening too far. Diassembly of hinges and chain are coming up soon and then the finish!

ForumRunner_20140226_173951.jpg

ForumRunner_20140226_174002.jpg

ForumRunner_20140226_174010.jpg

·
Registered
1,578 Posts
Nice, keep on building, you will find it is very enjoyable.

Asking questions is a very good way to learn, and not make to many mistakes, I KNOW....hehehe.

Dale in Indy

·
Registered
588 Posts
I like it, :thumbsup:, of course I always love maple and walnut together.

Also, I wouldn't be too intimidated. I've noticed the comments and feedback here are very respectful and not condescending at all. I think the membership here respects that there are some simple hobbyists, like me, all the way to supper fine craftsmen that do this for a living, as well as true artisans.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well here is the finished product. I guess it's taken me long enough. :laughing: It isn't near the quality of what some of you woodworking gods are cranking out of your shop in the blink of an eye, but it only gets better! Thanks for all the friendly comments and encouragement!

ForumRunner_20140309_173602.jpg

ForumRunner_20140309_173620.jpg

ForumRunner_20140309_173639.jpg

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
It looks beautiful! Well done. The lid seems to fit very well, that can be difficult. How did you make the walnut dividers so thin? Those are some very thin pieces if wood.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It looks beautiful! Well done. The lid seems to fit very well, that can be difficult. How did you make the walnut dividers so thin? Those are some very thin pieces if wood.
Well first of all thank you! The lid is a little off but the person receiving it isn't gonna be too picky! And a scroll saw with a rigged fence, and very meticulous sanding.

·
Registered
656 Posts
Beautiful and well crafted box, Like the simple design and attractive wood combo. The pretty wood grains and color really pop with your finish. Great job!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts