Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi All.
I need your opinions on the Jet 10" table saw model 708100 this saw is on sale at Woodcraft for $499.99 . I have been looking for a new saw for my small shop because my Craftman saw just has no power and it is three years old. Wood working is a hobby for me, is this a good saw and is the 1-1/2 hp motor stronger then the 15 amp that I have in my Craftman for the price thanks ?

Bruce.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I bought that Jet saw last year at a local tool store for $400 & put a Woodworker II blade on it. I pretty new to woodworking so I can't compare it to anything else but I'm very happy with it. I also put the Harbor Freight mobile base on it which makes it a lot easier to move.
Dennis

·
Registered
267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I bought that Jet saw last year at a local tool store for $400 & put a Woodworker II blade on it. I pretty new to woodworking so I can't compare it to anything else but I'm very happy with it. I also put the Harbor Freight mobile base on it which makes it a lot easier to move.
Dennis
Dennis.
Thanks for your opinion.
Bruce.

·
Registered
512 Posts
Dennis
Hey Dennis did you put the saw on 110 or 220
Hows the power on hardwoods
Is the fence accurate
and finally how often have you had to adjust the alignment.
I thought these might be some good questions as to the performance of the saw.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Instead of the 708100, you oughta check Rocker's site. They're closing out the 708300.

http://www.rockler.com/product.cfm?page=17903

A $699 saw for $399 ain't too shabby... in fact, it's killer.

Saw it in the local Rockler store yesterday, and it's one major piece of work for that kind of money. Just reserved one for myself. Frankly, I've got no reason or excuse to buy it, other than the fact that the Craftsman POS that I have now scares the living crap out of me every time I turn the thing on.

Who's got one of these Jets? Any comments/reviews?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Daryl
Re: your questions

-with the original blade the power on hardwoods was not too good, with the WWII blade it's fine (so figure the $400 saw is going to cost you another $100 for the blade, this is probably also true for many higher priced saws)
- remember I'm a beginner, I saw a posting somewhere where the woodworker was concerned about being off by .003, if I could get to that I'd be very happy, that being said I'm happy with the fence
-it's hooked up to 110v
-when I bought it I picked it up locally, so I saved about $100 in freight
-Need to remember this is a $400 saw & for that price & for my very limited skills (& budget) I'm very happy with it
Dennis

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
From glancing at it at Woodcraft and seeing the pics and exploded pictorial of it's guts in the online manual, the design of the saw looks pretty darn good to me. Not only does it have an internally mounted induction motor with a serpentine belt drive, which saves space and spares you all the headaches the outboard motors cause, but the trunnion design features a one piece cast blade shroud that connects the front and rear trunnion brackets. This is a more elegant solution to their traditional steel rods on their former contractor saws which are more prone to twisting when the motor is beveled and encounters any resistance. It has built in wheels and a dust port too. The steel wings aren't my favorite but they should be fine...if you're going to cut a corner to meet a budget restriction, that's as reasonable place to do it, plus they can be upgraded later if you want. The fence is no Biesemeyer, but it seems functional and is also upgradeable later if you wanted too.

All in all, it seems like a pretty stout contender in the $400-$500 range. It has several advantages over the Hitachi C10FL from Lowes, and reports from owners have been quite positive.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts