Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone, this is my first post so bear with me. I caught the woodworking bug when my fiance decided to task me with one of the thousand "must-haves" she came across on pinterest. It was a wooden disk endtable with iron piping for the legs..
I have always been a handy man, I grew up working a little construction with my dad so I had basic tools on hand (sander, drill, skill/sawzaw etc.). other than forming a job site, I dont have much expereince with woodworking. I eventually rigged up a table I was satisfied with - probably after more sweat than necessary and lots of trial and error - and wait for it... she was actually loved it! crazy I know.. more than the satisfaction of a job-well-done, I found myself hooked on working with wood. I found a connection with turning simple, rough, bare wood into something beautiful. the garage-turned-shop is my favorite place to be now..

I have been constantly on the lookout for deals on new tools and my projects have been getting better and better. I need some advice because a lot of the projects I seem to like are ones that require bigger tools than what I have... planers/jointers, mitersaw, table saw, etc. My dad offered to give me a JET table saw that he doesnt use much and I was wondering which other tool could I get the most use of. Is there a way to use a table saw like a jointer or planer? could I get away with buying a decent mitersaw, along for a while with the JET and tools I already have?

any advice would be greatly appreciated!

thanks

·
Registered
47 Posts
I use my Table Saw and Miter Saw all the time. A planner I didn't have for the first 20 years, so I went threw a lot of sandpaper and used the table saw to cut the wood down to the thickness I wanted...

·
Registered
425 Posts
The TS is more versatile....it'll rip and crosscut, the miter saw only crosscuts. The mechanisms of a good TS are more robust than those of a miter saw, and generally have better potential for more accurate crosscuts. I only pull out my miter saw for very long pieces, like molding or deck boards.

If you have a way to flatten the face of a board, a TS you can be used to edge joint, but it won't replace a planer or jointer. A jointer used in tandem is the most effective and efficient way to flatten and square stock.

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Welcome here to this friendly WW forum, where there is always room for one more, and you get to choose how to make your sawdust. IMO the Jet TS is more versatile than the miter-saw, but many good books & online info is available for both items. Always understand and use each tool for what it was intended. Another factor you should consider now is your $ budget AND your work area. Many woodworkers find "sales" of lesser quality toys & tools, and after a few projects, the unit fails. Buy the best you can afford for whatever tools your projects needs, as long as it fits into your work area. Enjoy your stay, post often, and be safe.

·
Registered
528 Posts
I agree the tablesaw is usually the anchor piece of the woodworking shop. I went for years without a CMS - but it is extremely handy going from ripping on the tablesaw to cutting to length on the CMS. The CMS is also very good at taking extremely small cuts from the end of a board.

I find magazine reviews are handy - some give a "top tool" recommendation plus a "best bang for the buck" recommendation. Using the testing criteria that suits you, you can then search for new or used. I also think its wise to buy attachments and bits only when you have an application for them and hope they don't turn into a "one-off" use.

Cheers

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the advice everyone.. im pretty excited for the table saw.. I'll probably have some more advice as I get started on my next project!

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks for the advice everyone.. im pretty excited for the table saw.. I'll probably have some more advice as I get started on my next project!
Get the blade and fence perfectly parallel with the miter slots, then get a decent blade or two for it. Good blades start at around $30 - Irwin Marples, Freud Diablo, CMT ITK, DeWalt Precision Trim, Tenryu Rapid Cut series.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts