Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!

I'm considering to by a shaper. Jet JWS-34KX (This is the model here in Finland) 2hp model and feeder. Is Jet a good choice? What kind of a jobs 2hp is enought? How much power feeder needs to have?
Also I was thinking to use same feeder on jointer. Any toughts?

Pauli

·
Cabinetmaker
646 Posts
O like Jet tools and Oh yeah I have a 2 hp Jet shaper in my shop :}
It will do anything you want to do. I would call it a medium duty machine, If I had to run it 8 hrs a day 7 days a week it may not last but I dont and probably you wont either. As far as a feeder I WISH I HAD ONE, that will make it thousand percent safer than using it the way I do :{
Jack

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got the shaper finally couple a days ago. My package is: shaper, feeder and tenoning table. Now I'm wondering about cutters.
What are the "must have" cutters for the shaper? I was thinking that I will purchase basic cutters at first and then new ones according my needs. Any advices are most welcome.

Thanks, Pauli

·
Registered
277 Posts
Well I think raised panel doors are the best use of a shaper,
so I would get a panel raiser bit and a rail/style combo.
Next I would also go with a tall straight bit, like 1".
You can do a lot of things with a straight bit like rabbits
and trimming.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Pauli
I agree that 2 hp is probably enough, unless you are really producing stuff. A feeded is VERY good, as shapers are one of the more dangerous tools in the shop. The power there is important, as you want to have enough to pull the work thru the cutters. I sort of think that 1/2 hp is about minimum for a feeder for a shaper. I have a 1/4 hp feeder that works fine for my 12" jointer, but it is not enough for my table saw or shaper. I have a 1 hp feeder for those that works fine. I don't know if a 1/2 would work for the shaper, but I know that less won't work, and 1 does work. You want that feeder to keep strong hold of the work and feed it at that constant rate, not to slip a little and not feed without a helping push.
as to bits, it really is your choice. I wouldn't buy a lot of cutters until i need them, assuming you can get them fairly quickly. I have a LOT of bits for my router, but for the shaper I have a more modest collection, some raised panel, yes, cause they are much safer on a shaper than a router IMO, but also some rabiting bits which i could do on the router. Up to you.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts