Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got my 16 inch Jet planer put together this weekend. While I don't have 220 in my garage I do have a 15KW Generac sitting in the garage. I fired up the generator and plugged in the planer. I could feel the hum in the planer switch but the magnets would not completely turn it on. I tried several times to get it to work from taking apart the plug and putting it back together to resetting the breaker multiple times. I also plugged in a 6 way 220 to 110 and plugged in a fan to make sure I was at least getting some power from the 30 amp outlet. It fired right up so I am at a loss as to what is going on. Tomorrow I am going to plug the 15 amp 110 table saw to the 6 way and see how that goes. I have an ohm meter but am not overly versed in using one.

Any ideas on other options? I just thought about maybe a reset switch on the motor (the planer is new) if it has one.

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
well 15,000 watts / 220vac renders 68 amps, surely enough for your planer, if generator is producing power properly. that leaves the wiring distribution/conductors in question. you will need to verify that the conductors feeding the planer - all the way - are rated for the current level needed by the planer motor (read in mfr info). new generator? things need checked out. seek electrician help if you need it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I was hoping someone might have an idea on something I am overlooking. I will probably break out the meter this afternoon or tomorrow. It was night by the time I finished fooling with it yesterday and I was understandably fustrated.

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Since I could not find my ohm meter after moving I finally broke a man-rule and read the generator instructions. It mentioned something about connecting "a suitable 4-wire grounded cord set to the plug and to the desired load". Hmmmm. My planer is 15 amp and only has a 3 wire cord. Could this be where I am going wrong? Do I need to replace the outlet in the generator to, say a 3 prong 20 amp outlet?

·
Registered
3,277 Posts
did that L14-30 connector come on the planer power cord, wired? do you know the planer voltage requirements? it appears that you have a black, white and green wire, maybe your planer is set up for 120 vac/15a? if so, is there a 20a rated 120vac socket on the generator?

·
where's my table saw?
28,960 Posts
The Jet 16" planer is 230 V 3 HP

If this is the one: Amazon.com: JET 708531 JWP-16OS 16-Inch 3-Horsepower Open Stand Planer, 230-Volt 1-Phase: Home Improvement

I run all my 3 HP motors, shaper, planers, bandsaw on 20 AMP circuits, using double pole breakers and 3 conductors. The oulets are mounted on EMT conduit in the lower shop on grade. The upper shop, all wood floors and no water, is only Romex. It's probably not to current codes, but grandfathered in.

You need to watch your ground and neutrals when working at grade or concrete where water may be present or spilled. On a generator there may be no need for the 4th conductor unless you ground the body of the generator or it's frame. I donno? I would consult an electrician or maybe one here will advise.
There are both 3 and 4 wire 220 circuits: http://www.nojolt.com/Understanding_240_volt_circuits.shtml

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
woodnthins- thanks for the info.

The planer is new and came with the 3 wire cord. I connected the plug in accordance with its enclosed instructions. I did some research and found out I only had the lug wired on one leg so it was only getting 110v. After reconfiguring the plug and getting rid of the neutral, the planer ran like a top. I am still skittish about that setup but I have no other option for 220 right now. I am unable to rewire my garage. I am going to look at attaching a 4-wire cord to the planer in order to regain the neutral.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I'm not an electrician but for your planner you don't need the neutral. the difference between the 4 wire and 3 wire 220v setups is to feed the appliances that need 110v. The 220v is 110 on each leg and the ground wire, 3 wire plug. This is all you need for the planner. Some appliances, like dryers, also require 110 and that is where the 4 wire and neutral are used. The 4 wire with neutral gives the appliance 220v and 110v capability.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts