Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am finally getting around to tuning up the Jet jointer I bought last fall. I had the blades sharpened and I am getting them reinstalled. As I tried to tighten the hex screws on the knife lock bar, I realized that each bar has at least one hex screw that has stripped threads.

DOH! :eek:

I started shopping for replacement knife bars. They are very reasonably priced at (approximately) $7 -$8 each. I quickly realized that the screws are sold separately. I thought my head was going to explode when I saw the screws were priced at $2.50 - $3.50 each!!! Each knife lock bar takes 4 screws and there are three knife lock bars. Twelve screws will cost about $36, while the bars will only cost about $23.

Does anyone know a way around this? Do the screws come in a set?
I am looking at about $60 plus shipping to get this squared away. Is there a better option?

Thanks!

·
Registered
2,644 Posts
I have the same jointer with basically the same problem plus the head was rusty. It came through an auction house and looks like it had been sitting idle for a while.

I bought the spiral cutting assy from Grizzly. It comes with new bearings ready to plug and play. I hope to get it installed this coming week. That should solve my problem and be good to go for several years.

Not cheap though.
Mike

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have the same jointer with basically the same problem plus the head was rusty. It came through an auction house and looks like it had been sitting idle for a while.

I bought the spiral cutting assy from Grizzly. It comes with new bearings ready to plug and play. I hope to get it installed this coming week. That should solve my problem and be good to go for several years.

Not cheap though.
Mike
Mike -

Can you post some details? Where you got the new spiral cutting assy? Price?

Thanks!

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
Take the existing screws and go to Ace or Home Depot or Lowe's or Menards or True Value. You should be able to find replacements. Isn't McFeely's near you? They probably have what you need also.

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
How many of those screws do you need? I still have the bars and screws (I think) from my Jet 8" (converted to Byrd). If I can find them I can probably get you whatever you need for the cost of postage. I have to think they are the same except for the width of the bars.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How many of those screws do you need? I still have the bars and screws (I think) from my Jet 8" (converted to Byrd). If I can find them I can probably get you whatever you need for the cost of postage. I have to think they are the same except for the width of the bars.
Fred,

That is a really generous offer. I appreciate it!

I think half a dozen should be plenty.

This is one of the reasons I love this place!

:yes:

·
Registered
1,510 Posts
I found all three bars and they all have the screws in them. Now if I just knew where to mail them too! :laughing: Can you PM me an address, just using "central wisconsin" may take longer to get there. If you'd rather e-mail, it's wapakfred at gmail.com.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I found all three bars and they all have the screws in them. Now if I just knew where to mail them too! :laughing: Can you PM me an address, just using "central wisconsin" may take longer to get there. If you'd rather e-mail, it's wapakfred at gmail.com.
PM sent.

You probably could send them to "central WI" and they would find me. :laughing:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts