Woodworking Talk banner
21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
put down the jet/powermatic kool aid and start focusing on value rather than faded brand names with exorbitant sticker prices. there is nothing the jet and PM tools you linked will do that the similar grizzly tools will not do. WOOD magazine fabricates many of the parts for their projects on a ridgid contractor saw (a 3650 or 3660). the tools you linked will all do the same thing. what would compel someone to spend $1000, e.g., and settle for a 14" BS when the same expenditure will get a different brand that's 17" and 2 hp?

go with griz for a better value. what's saved can go for more tools or useful accessories for the tools that are acquired.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,509 Posts
Since this has turned into a bash / praise Powermatic thread let me toss some gasoline into the fire.

At school, before they were replaced by Saw Stop, there were Delta, General, Jet and Powermatic table saws. These saws were all cabinet models and 5 HP. (Not sure about 5 HP on the Jet) All the saws were about the same age, 10-15 years. All the saws were maintained by a dedicated technician. He really knows his stuff and helped me solve problems on my own equipment.

I was able to assist installing the Saw Stop saws but I've not used them.

When I was doing work in the school's shop my first choice was always the Delta UniSaw. The General was my next choice and the Powermatic was my last choice.

The choice was based on how blades were changed, the feel of the blade raise and lower mechanism. There is nothing wrong with any of the saws. My preference was just based on how things felt. I just preferred the feel of the other saws to the Powermatic. In woodworking, if something doesn't feel right, you may be heading for an accident. All I can say is that the Powermatic didn't feel right TO ME.

I did not like using a dado blade on the Powermatic because of the 1-1/2 thread rule. (In the aerospace community the rule is that there must be 1-1/2 threads extending beyond the nut.) In all fairness, the arbor nut on the Powermatic is about 3 times as thick as one on a Delta. However, if I don't see the threads sticking out I'm uncomfortable.

IIRC, the depth of the table on the Powermatic is deeper than most other saws. This can be an advantage and a disadvantage.

·
Banned
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update!

Here's a quick update for you all. I ended up going with Grizzly. Ordered a G1023RLWX table saw. 5hp and 220v so I'll have to run a circuit for it. That's ok though because it will be all of about 15 feet from my main breaker and I have plenty of extra wire left over from a home renovation project. I also picked up 30th Anniversary band saw which again, will need a circuit run for it, but again will be close to the breaker.

One thing I noticed is that the shipping weight for these things is listed as about 550 and 350 pounds respectively. HOLY #&@*! That's 900 pounds worth of tools heading my way. Are they really that heavy? That seems insanely heavy, even for a table saw.

21 - 25 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.