Woodworking Talk banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Banned
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have one good woodworking tool, my Jet 10-14VS lathe. The rest are decades old and all are in need of repair. So far, I'm extremely happy with my Jet lathe. It's smooth and quiet and has been able to handle everything I've thrown at it. In hindsight, I likely would have gone with a bigger one simply because I want to be able to make bigger and better things with it.

I have a lot of overtime coming up in January so I should be able to replace my table saw and pick up a bandsaw early February. My birthday is also in February so Woodcraft sends me a 20% off coupon for my birthday. I think it's 20%, might be only 10%. I'm looking at this Jet bandsaw and this Jet table saw. I assume they would be just as good as my little lathe so I'd be happy with them. They're also kinda expensive, but with the 20% off, they aren't bad.

I've heard great things about Powermatic, so I'm also considering that brand even though they're at the top of what I'd be willing to spend. This would be the table saw, and this the bandsaw I'd likely go with if I got the Powermatic items. I'd also get them from Woodcraft to make use of the 20% coupon. I realize the Powermatic bandsaw only has a 6" maximum resaw capability, but I don't think I'd ever need more than that. Is it common to need more?

I've heard good things about Grizzly too. They're significantly cheaper so I can get bigger motors and seemingly better equipment from them. Table saw, and bandsaw that are likely candidates. I have no coupon for these, but since they're cheaper I save that way and get a full cabinet saw instead of a hybrid and more powerful equipment. That's a win right?

Am I comparing items of completely different classes, or are these things pretty much the same with different paint and price tags? If you have any of these or have worked with them in the past and can shed a little light on my situation, I would greatly appreciate it. Also, is there something I'm completely overlooking that is similarly priced that would be worth also considering?

·
Banned
382 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Update!

Here's a quick update for you all. I ended up going with Grizzly. Ordered a G1023RLWX table saw. 5hp and 220v so I'll have to run a circuit for it. That's ok though because it will be all of about 15 feet from my main breaker and I have plenty of extra wire left over from a home renovation project. I also picked up 30th Anniversary band saw which again, will need a circuit run for it, but again will be close to the breaker.

One thing I noticed is that the shipping weight for these things is listed as about 550 and 350 pounds respectively. HOLY #&@*! That's 900 pounds worth of tools heading my way. Are they really that heavy? That seems insanely heavy, even for a table saw.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.