Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I see rockler has the dc-650 bk on sale and was thinking about it. I don't have a dc unit right now and it seems like a good deal. Just wondering if anyone else has used this model. My shop is in the basement in a 11x22 room so noise is a factor.

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
It wouldn't be my first choice, but it will be better than not having one.

·
Registered
996 Posts
You have to make sure the machine you buy isn't too tall to fit in the basement.

So a smaller machine might be the only option

·
Sawdust Creator
8,046 Posts
Most full size ones will fit. My delta 850 model is only 5'6 or so with a filter on it.

·
where's my table saw?
28,606 Posts
all dust collectors are not efficient

I see rockler has the dc-650 bk on sale and was thinking about it. I don't have a dc unit right now and it seems like a good deal. Just wondering if anyone else has used this model. My shop is in the basement in a 11x22 room so noise is a factor.
There's more than a few variables in dust collecting that determine how effective they are. Cloth bags with 5 micron or greater filtration allow the finer dust to get back into the shop air.... better than none at all, but not the most efficient. There are bags that will filter down to 1 micron ..Amazon has them, if I recall. Cannister filters are more expensive than bags, but way more efficient....more surface area and finer filtration.

The best deal is not always the best product is what I'm getting at. Do some more research before springing for any dust collector and ask more questions here as well. :yes:

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
I have a Jet that I think is 1100 SCFM. This one is the smallest one that can be run on either 115 or 230 volts and could be had with a filter canister in place of the top bag.

I replaced the 5 micron bags with a couple of 1 micron bags from Penn State Industries.

I think that the system is 8 or 9 years old. Even with a Long Ranger remote control I don't think that I have over $500 in the system. It works exceptionally well and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase the same system again.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the replies. I think I'll pass on this one and keep looking a CL. My biggest concern with any shop purchase is having to upgrade and will have wasted money by trying to save money. And this would have come out of the new jointer fund which is the next big expenditure.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts