Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry for the bazillionth table saw question, but I need some advice. I have the Jet 708315LSB (with legs) and the Craftsman 21829 and one of them has to go back. Both are nice, but different. Here's what I like about them both:

Jet:

* It's a little contractor's-type saw
* It has miter slots (although they're not standard size)
* It has a lightweight fence that is surprisingly accurate
* It has a left-tilt blade
* It has side extensions and a rear outfeed
* The power switch is on the left (my preference)
* It has a five-year warranty
* It's $150 cheaper than the Craftsman

Craftsman:

* It has a sliding miter table (but no miter slots)
* It has a built-in router table
* It has good dust collection
* It sits on a collapsible, wheeled stand
* It has a riving knife

If anyone has any experience with or comments about either saw, I'd appreciate it as I'm finding it difficult to choose between the two.

Thanks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
IMHO...take 'em both back and get the Bosch 4000.

Damn I sound like a broken fickin' record don't I!!!!:laughing:

Seriously, I have had NO fault with that saw.:thumbsup:
And no, I don't werk fer Bosch.:no:

Ooops....other than my miter gauge. It was a little sloppy.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
If you need the portability, the 21829 has the advantage there, but if portability isn't the determining factor, the Jet is a more substantially made machine with more mass, considerably larger surface, a smoother work surface, and likely better long term reliability....it'll also be quieter due to the induction motor.

The Jet has the potential to be with you for life, and can accept fence upgrades, cast iron wings, standard aftermarket accessories (miter gauge, tenoning jig, throat inserts, router table, etc), and even motor replacement would likely be less expensive if ever needed.

If you like the 21829, make dust and be happy, but if you're not attached at the hip with it, the Jet offers more saw.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't just done it!!! I just ripped a .014"X 24"X 3/4" strip on my Bosch 4000 w/ stock blade and straight-out-of-the-box set up.

:eek: WOW. I'm impressed.:thumbsup:

·
Banned
57 Posts
IMHO...take 'em both back and get the Bosch 4000.

Damn I sound like a broken fickin' record don't I!!!!:laughing:

Seriously, I have had NO fault with that saw.:thumbsup:
And no, I don't werk fer Bosch.:no:

Ooops....other than my miter gauge. It was a little sloppy.
take 'em both back and get the Bosch 4000.

like this

jet 708315

·
where's my table saw?
29,192 Posts
You should look at the dates....

This is a post from 2007. FYI. :blink:

Reactions: pweller

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
No miter slots. Non standard miter slots. Take them both back and buy a real saw. If I was going to do much woodworking I wouldn't want a direct drive saw.
Don't know anything about the Bosch. I like belt drive saws, with cast iron tops, with standard miter slots.
I have an old Unisaw, and a cheapo Ryobi direct drive saw. I use the ryobi mainly for cutting aluminum screen frame stock with at the rental house. Easy to move to job site.
I could do woodworking projects with it if I had to, but it sure would be easier, and safer on the Unisaw.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts