Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm in the market for a 6" jointer and a jet jj-6csx came up on craigslist.

Looks to be in great shape and he is asking $400. Seem kinda high to me. Anyone know what a good offer would be?

Anyone have any info about this jointer. Seems like a pretty decent although basic jointer.

Thanks!

·
RAM Man
758 Posts
I have that jointer and basically have no negative issues with it for what it is. It is, as you stated, a fairly basic jointer but then all knife styled jointers are pretty basic machines. The asking price is a bit on the high side for a used 6" jointer. When I purchased mine, I paid $444 for it but shortly after that the price on this jointer went through the roof! So, depending on its age, the seller could be trying to get almost as much out of it now as was paid for it when it was new.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It is a green colored one. I'm not sure when they changed to the white paint but I think it was somewhere around the late 90's early 2000.

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have the older version with the blueish grey paint before they started with the white. I paid $100 on Craigslist.

·
Registered
5,445 Posts
$400 seems high to me too. It got a premium when new due in part to warranty and dealer support, but none of that applies to you. The Grizzly G1182 series of jointers rolled out of the same factory, and were $297 plus s/h new....~ $350 to my door. I'd think $300 is reasonable for the Jet if it's in great shape, but not $400.

The Geetech 6" from Loma Tools is another clone with an extended bed from the same factory that the Jet and Griz were made in. $250 for new old stock, plus s/h.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I offered $250 and he countered back with $300. I'm going to go look at it tonight and hopefully talk him down a little more

·
RAM Man
758 Posts
Considering its age, mines the newer white color, I think $250 is still on the high side. As I stated before, I paid $444 for mine in September of 2007. If you're comfortable paying $250 that's fine but don't compare the cost of a new Jet today to what the asking price is. The current Jet jointer is hugely overpriced, IMO, for what it is compared to equal competition.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts