Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys new to turning here and I just purchased a Jet but I am having issues.

The tail stock wants to slide back. I wonder if I am trying to put too much pressure?

I have tried cleaning the bed, under the bed, tightening the nut under the tail stock but the tail stock still slips.

Any suggestion?

·
7,222 Posts
I am not familiar with the Jet 2112 lathe. Perhaps a picture of the tailstock and locking mechanism would help others provide guidance.

You can try roughing the underneath of the tailstock with sandpaper to provide a better grip. Same for the locking plate.

·
Registered
2,609 Posts
Nearly all new lathes come with the cast iron ways coated with machine oil (to prevent rusting).

It can take a lot of rubbing with paper towels to get rid of this. I used a solvent too (I think it was something xylene based, like "Goo gone") last time I bought a new one.

Once the ways and the underside of the tailstock are free of oil, try again.

The nut under the tailstock might need to be tightened more than you think -- with the lever in the "released" position, tighten the nut all the way, then back it off about a quarter turn. It should then lock tightly when you move it (and give it a tug) to the "lock" position.

·
Registered
3,257 Posts
A lot of lathes have this problem. After you follow the solutions above if it still slips it's probably one of two things. Either the bottom of the tailstock is not flat and doesn't mate with the bed accurately, or (and this is the most common) the little round thingy that locks it to the bed is simply too small. There used to be a guy selling rectangular replacements for these round washers. They have much more grip surface.
The first thing I would do is clean both the bed and bottom of the tailstock with mineral spirits. If this doesn't work and you've tightened the nut properly it's time to check one of the above. The simplest is replacing the round washer with a rectangular one. I'll try to look up the source to see if I can find them again. I make my own but they often take some maching to do it right. I think this guy used to make them. I would call to find out. I didn't see them in the catalog. http://www.jtturningtools.com/

1 - 5 of 5 Posts