Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So for my wife's Christmas present, I am looking to build a Japanese inspired table lamp. Now, she spent 3 years in Japan, so she knows authentic VS not. I have no clue. I looked here, and on the web, and I can't decide what's authentic. I'm not looking for plans, but photos for ideas. But I want something you could look at and say, "Yeah, that looks like something that would be in a Japanese home."
I did just read with interest the thread about the Shoji doors, but decided not to butt in on that one.

·
where's my table saw?
28,698 Posts
I spent a few month in Japan ....

I was most impressed with the style and inspired by it. I came home wanting to make bamboo water spouts, fish ponds, Bonsai gardens, timber frame temples and playhouses, etc. It's the essence of simplicity in design, color and proportion. I can picture a open frame construction, like a temple with the joinery being the focal point. Natural Pine or black painted hardwood would be suitable. Some images here:
http://images.search.yahoo.com/search/images?_adv_prop=image&fr=ytff1-tyc-inbox&va=japanese+lamps

The rice paper artwork that covers the frames will have a warm glow if backlit with a low wattage lamp. Paper is a primary medium in a lot of their construction, a combination of artwork and structure.
You might get clever and combine a water feature with lighting for both sound, visual and illumination effects.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 · (Edited)
Yeah, the bottom photo is what I'm interested in. I came across that one in my internet travels, too. I was wondering if things like that were authentic. You know how somethings are changed to suit another market in a different part of the world? But they're no longer authentic?

There is another one I like the looks of even better. I just tried to put the link here, it won't work. But if you google "japanese lamp", it comes up under "images for Japanese lamp", 2nd and 3rd from the left. The one with the swoops on the bottoms of the legs.

·
Registered
1,932 Posts
In searching, it helps to be more specific. "Traditional Japanese lighting fixtures" will get better results than "Japanese lamp". Of course, electricity has only been around since the late 1800's. Genuine traditional fixtures would have been for candles or oil. "andon" is the name for Japanese lanterns made from wood and rice paper or silk.
http://www.lasieexotique.com/mag_illuminations/mag_illuminations.html

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yeah, I am finding stuff I like. I'm just questioning whether it's authentic. Actually, the lamp I mentioned earlier (the one I couldn't link to),is what I'd like to build, if indeed authentic.
Than 2nd one down in woodnthings post is pretty cool, too.

·
Banned
3,533 Posts
From my limited exposure to Japan, the bottom picture woodnthings posted is quite authentic. It's certainly along the lines of the Japanese influence on Korean design, which I'm more familiar with than "true Japanese" design.

There are several types of Japanese design, though. Personally I'd search for Japanese temples/shrines and emulate the design elements you like from those. Genuine and authentic don't have to mean "identical", right? If your wife understands the "influence" I'm pretty sure she'll appreciate it whether it's truly authentic or not. You can find knock-off inauthentic things in Japan too, after all.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No, thanks, it's never too late. I will go check out those links, and that book. Just the other day, I started this project, but it immediately took a turn to the side. I don't work from any kind of a drawing, mostly just a vague idea in my head, so things change constantly, even as I'm doing them. So, the "Japanese" lamp is still a lamp, but I think I lost the Japanese part. I'll probably build another alongside this one…...

·
dustsnifer
69 Posts
You also may try doing a Google search and then press the "image" tab. I often get a lot of ideas from there and then... you know the rest:smile:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts