Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did not install the dust chute when I assembled my saw as I did not have a dust collection system at the time. I am looking into getting one, and I was hoping I could jack up the table+motor so I can remove the base to install the dust collection chute without taking the rails and extension tables off. Has anyone done this? I have a bunch of concrete blocks, a 4x4, and some bottle jacks, but I can't find a great way to situate the jacks because the overhang of the cast iron table is so small. Has anyone done this? Care to share your methods?

Thanks,

David

·
Registered
1,302 Posts
I did not install the dust chute when I assembled my saw as I did not have a dust collection system at the time. I am looking into getting one, and I was hoping I could jack up the table+motor so I can remove the base to install the dust collection chute without taking the rails and extension tables off. Has anyone done this? I have a bunch of concrete blocks, a 4x4, and some bottle jacks, but I can't find a great way to situate the jacks because the overhang of the cast iron table is so small. Has anyone done this? Care to share your methods?

Thanks,

David
here's how i lifted a 300+lb unisaw to replace the movers dolly ( which it sat on during it's refurbishment) with a delta mobile base. looking at the OM for the 4512, i'm not sure i'd risk what you're proposing as there doesn't appear to be any safe place with enough surface are outside the saw cabinet to support it safely during a lift, especially with the rails attached.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
I have the same saw. Its not that heavy. I would just run the blade all the way down, lay down a couple 2x4s then lay it down and rotate on over upside down. When I first put mine together I thought it would be more difficult to turn over than it was. Having a buddy around will make sure it a bit easier.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I have the same saw. Its not that heavy. I would just run the blade all the way down, lay down a couple 2x4s then lay it down and rotate on over upside down. When I first put mine together I thought it would be more difficult to turn over than it was. Having a buddy around will make sure it a bit easier.
Ditto

·
where's my table saw?
27,887 Posts
engine hoist?

I have used a chainfall on a overhead beam also. A floor joist with a 3/8" bolt hole through the middle will work. Hang a chain on both sides of the bolt forming a loop to hang the chainfall or ratchet lift or come along. I don't trust tippy set ups like in the photo above. It may have worked OK once and nothing went wrong that time..... :no:

·
where's my table saw?
27,887 Posts
woodnthings - With a hoist isn't it the same problem though of not having much area to grab/lift on the table (as toolguy1000 correctly pointed out)? And is this the sort of thing you're talking about: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html ?
Yep. You just attach a chain or 2 in a bolt hole on the saw cabinet. You can use one of H-F's cargo slings also...around $10.00 :smile:
http://www.harborfreight.com/2-inch-x-6-ft-6400-lb-capacity-web-sling-95626.html

·
Registered
39 Posts
MTL/greekhawk - do you guys do this with the rails still attached?

woodnthings - With a hoist isn't it the same problem though of not having much area to grab/lift on the table (as toolguy1000 correctly pointed out)? And is this the sort of thing you're talking about: http://www.harborfreight.com/1-ton-chain-hoist-996.html ?
Yeah just put a couple 2x4 under the cast to raise it up off the ground so that the rails are not actually touching the ground.

·
Registered
149 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
woodnthings - sorry for my complete newness here, but how do you attach a chain to a bolt hole :blink:? Anyone have pictures of a lift like this?

·
where's my table saw?
27,887 Posts
it's a lot like this

woodnthings - sorry for my complete newness here, but how do you attach a chain to a bolt hole :blink:? Anyone have pictures of a lift like this?
You find a hole in the saw cabinet near the top, insert a bolt through the hole and then the end of the chain, then a washer and a nut to keep it from coming out. All 4 corners is best, 3 will do, and 2 will work, but you need a good balance or it will want to tip.

·
where's my table saw?
27,887 Posts
Here's the way I've done it

I used a lifting strap rather than a chain, but the idea is to make a cradle and hook all the ends to the hook on the chain hoist.

I've moved a lot of heavy machines, so it kinda comes naturally to me. :yes:

Attachments

1 - 11 of 11 Posts