Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Excuse my messy shop. I know, I'm a slob, but when I'm in the middle of something, I hate to put things away. I'm almost done plumbing my dust collection and I really made a mess of things, but I hope it works. I know I have too many bends, too much hose, and I neglected to construct it so it would be easy to take apart in case of a clog, but I'll deal with that when it happens.

Attachments

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I still need to run a hose and construct a hood for my miter saw. I also need to run a pipe from the wye above the window over to my jointer. The drop will be between the jointer and my bench. I will then reduce to a 4x4x2 1/2 wye at the bench for RO sanders, etc. at the ceiling I will continue with the 5" then reduce to 4" and connect an expandable 4" hose with a dust right quick fitting to use on my planer and sander which are on a double flip-top cabinet on casters.

Attachments

·
(clever wood pun here)
979 Posts
Stairs or ladder to the attic? Either way, that big can of saw dust is not going to be fun to haul down.

Any local ordinances regulating your unfiltered exhaust after the separator gets the bigger stuff? I have heard that in some places this is regulated, though not always in residential spaces.

Sent from my DROID RAZR MAXX using Woodworking Talk

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yes, I have pull down stairs to the attic, and I also have a 3' x 4' trap door with an electric hoost directly above it for lifting heavy objects. It works amazingly well. I store many heavy objects up there.
There are no ordinances where I live so I should be ok there.
The only thing I'm worries about is dust accumulating on the side of the garage or getting on vehicles in driveway. If that happens, I'll buy a wynn filter and use a bag.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have everything( almost) hooked up with all blast gates in place. Since I've never owned or ran a DC before, I have nothing to compare it to.
When I turn it on, I really don't feel a tremendous amount of suction. But maybe I'm not supposed to.
I made a few cuts on the bandsaw and ran some boards across the jointer, and I could see the chips going thru the hose, but is there a way to actually tell that it is doing an efficient job?
I still need to order some more expandable hose for the miter saw and the drop for planer and sander.

Attachments

·
Registered
489 Posts
If your Thien separator is working properly there should not be much going out the window. :)

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'll have to have someone look when I'm jointing or planing. I need to go buy som hardwood so I can start on a project (not sure what yet) then I will have a better idea if it's working or not.

·
Old Methane Gas Cloud
3,500 Posts
If your Thien separator is working properly there should not be much going out the window. :)
I thought that the purpose of the separator was to trap the larger particles and send the flour into the bag/filter.

I'll have to have someone look when I'm jointing or planing. I need to go buy som hardwood so I can start on a project (not sure what yet) then I will have a better idea if it's working or not.
Your setup seems to be moving a lot of inside air to the outside. I would think that during the winter, this is going to make for a very cold shop.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Rrich, I'm afraid that might be true. But even if I didn't exhaust outside, my DC is located in the unheated attic of the garage and warm air would be lost up there.
But I'm hoping that in a one man shop, since the machines will only be used for short intervals, that the heat loss will be minimal. We'll see this winter.

·
novice wood hacker
514 Posts
Rrich, I'm afraid that might be true. But even if I didn't exhaust outside, my DC is located in the unheated attic of the garage and warm air would be lost up there.
But I'm hoping that in a one man shop, since the machines will only be used for short intervals, that the heat loss will be minimal. We'll see this winter.
But you aren`t limited to those options. If you wanted you could plumb that outlet hose from your dc back into your shop and keep the heated air and any dust that gets past inside.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
I believe my Jet DC is rated at 1100 cam. Even if it only pulls about half that amount of air with a 24' by 24' shop with a 10 ceiling you would replace all the air in the shop with outside air in about 10 minutes of run time. I think you are going to have a major problem.
Tom

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Does anyone else here exhaust their DC to the outside, and if so, what complications arose?
Did you notice a massive heat loss in your shop?
I would just like to know for sure from some of you, so I can make changes before winter. It won't be that big of a deal for me to set up the bag and duct into it, I'd just have to order a wynn filter.

·
Registered
2,304 Posts
Does anyone else here exhaust their DC to the outside, and if so, what complications arose?
Did you notice a massive heat loss in your shop?
I would just like to know for sure from some of you, so I can make changes before winter. It won't be that big of a deal for me to set up the bag and duct into it, I'd just have to order a wynn filter.
Looks like you have a window A/C unit in your shop. On a hot day run your dust collector and see what happens to the shop temperature. Also, remember if you are running your DC for several minutes and you don't have replacement air coming into the shop the air flow in your system will drop as you pull a slightly negative pressure in yor shop. You really need an opening to let in as much air as you are exhausting. An open window would work.
Tom

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Thanks for the info Tom. I need to check this out more. I may be ordering that ffilter after all.

·
Registered
1,651 Posts
I thought about moving my DC outside or the attic- The heat problem and when I changed to a 15" 3HP planer- it fills the garbage can in 10-15 minutes of planing. PS- you shop is clean compared to mine. :yes:

1 - 20 of 31 Posts