Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I made a little jig to check the blade with miter slot and the dial moves less than 1/1000 in about 4" front to back..I can live with this.
Now if I can only find a board for the miter gauge that is dead on and doesn't flex at all I'll be happy as a pig in..uhhh..mud.. Yeah..mud! That's the ticket! I'd like it to be a bit lower, but for the time being it'll work..

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
Same readings on individual teeth and the blade body as well from both slots.. I need to check the fence as well, but I think it's pretty close as well, but gonna check front to back too..

Edit: Just checked..fence has variations of about 4-5/1000s.. I'm no expert on this, but I think I'm good to go.

Reactions: BigJim

·
where's my table saw?
29,416 Posts
I never use a gauge for the "fence to miter slot parallelism" ,just a finger tip running along the slot with the fence lined up by eye as parallel as I can to start with. Then, if there's a noticeable difference, I adjust the fence. No math, no measuring, no gauges, just my finger tip. I only use the right side miter slot for the fence, I don't care what the left side says. However, as you show, the left side slot is used for the blade parallelism condition measurements and adjustments. I just count on the factory to have milled them parallel to each other!
Sounds like you are close enough for woodworking. 😃

·
Wishing he had a title...
449 Posts
I would be there is more than .001 play in your runner in the miter slot, so I seriously doubt you can repeadly and accurately measure to that accuracy. Not trying to be a jerk but most people do not realize that is takes some serious tools and good skills to actually measure accuratly to .001.

·
Registered
Termite
5,027 Posts
I would be there is more than .001 play in your runner in the miter slot, so I seriously doubt you can repeadly and accurately measure to that accuracy. Not trying to be a jerk but most people do not realize that is takes some serious tools and good skills to actually measure accuratly to .001.
Why we don't try...:ROFLMAO:

·
Premium Member
6,173 Posts
Mike: "Have ya found a job?"

Pat: "Aye. Found work in a tool factory. Don't ya know, they works to a thousandths of an inch!"

Mike: "A thousandths of an inch!!"

Mike ponders this for a moment and then asks:

"Paddy, how many thousandths are there in an inch?"

Pat: " I don't know. From the looks, there must be millions of them!"

·
Registered
801 Posts
There could be a 1/4 inch play and still be entirely accurate.

The wood base under the dial indicator serves the same purpose as the base on a machinist's surface gage. The runner serves the same purpose as the two drop pins on a machinist's surface gage. Either the runner or the pins only need to, and should only, engage one side of the milled key way.

·
Registered
Egg Spurt
2,987 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
I have absolutely no doubt there are better ways to measure this far more accurately, but I'm a poor man with limited resources. This is as close as I'm getting it unless someone wants to volunteer their expensive measurement equipment and time to drive here to make me feel much worse than I really want to feel about it.. The ruler I used is down to 1/100s. That's close enough to suit me and I'm not necessarily convinced it's any less accurate than the dial indicator. After all..I can't make out the individual markings down to 1/100 anyway. I can see down to about 1/20th. After that it might as well be 10 feet or 1/1000000000th.. 😵 I can see those tiny makings, but they're pretty much just a blur right at the edge of the ruler. My eyeballs are every bit as old as I am..
I'm just happy it's closer than your everyday garbage.. lol

·
Registered
Termite
5,027 Posts
It comes down to how it cuts and feels. I use my measuring tape...

·
Premium Member
1,857 Posts
AP once upon a time, I used a block of wood and feeler gauges.

The block had a 1/4 x 1/4 cleat that registers against the outer edge of the miter slot.

Keep block registered against slot, slide front to back to read gap. Go by feel, if you’re old enough remember the days of setting points and you’re good to go.

Close enough for ww’ing.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts