Woodworking Talk banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Total Novice!
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my mom is convinced the following piece of furniture she bought 30 years ago is fixable after a mover dropped it. I'm not a 100% sure it's worth the effort if time or fluctuating moisture would cause the wood to swell and continue to break. Is my mom right? Or does she need to let this go? She only paid $40 for it back in the 80's, so it's not like we're losing out. I know the hardware can be swapped out to fix the door, but my main concern is the back... Any insight would be awesome thanks! <3

·
Registered
13,213 Posts
A split top, door joint coming apart, split back and what else?

To me it would not be worth the effort to fix any one of those problems.

I guess the piece has sentimental value that may say it is worth fixing.

George

·
Registered
27,582 Posts
It looks fixable but would take considerable work. A lot depends on how much she likes it. To me it looks more like the damage was due to being stored somewhere hot than being dropped. The hinge and the back sure are damaged from handling but the top and door panel look like wood movement.

·
Registered
4,232 Posts
The best thing is it was only a $40 piece to start with. Hopefully your Mom has enjoyed it for a lot years.
Now with the damage, I would move it from the house to the shop. I would permanently remove the doors, put a piece of plywood over the top and maybe mount a tool on the top. Your can't build a shop stand or table any cheaper!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts