Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
When you check it out look and feel the blade. Try an move it left to right to check for play. There shouldn't be any. Turn it on and it should run smoothly. No vibrations. If the blade is bend it will shake. No big deal if a new blade stops the vibration. I have a Delta TS and it is a decent saw for the price. Not your best but a good all around saw.
Good price if it's solid. Also try all the adjusters blade height and tilt they should turn easily and have locking mechanisms. Don't worry is the adjustments are correct on the dials that can be set up when you get it home.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the tips in what to look for MinConst. I emailed the guy to see if it was complete and he said it had 1 wing and and a 32" extension on the other side. And said it came with a unifence. He has a deal pending but would contact me if it fell through.

Thanks for the responses.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
UPDATE:

Ok, I spoke to the guy and got some more information about the saw. He said it runs good but there is some surface rust on the top of the table. He also said he is missing a few bolts for the fence. He had taken it apart and hasn't been able to find all the bolts yet. He said they were common size and should be easily replaceable. I guess my main concern is the rust. Is this a deal breaker? He said it could be sanded off. Is that true? I am supposed to call him back tomorrow to set up a time to go see it.

·
Registered
266 Posts
Surface rust is easy to remove - some WD40 and steel wool will take it off, then just wax the top with Johnson's paste wax. A little bit of surface rust will not affect the way the saw runs.

Nancy

·
Registered
129 Posts
Yea unless the rust has really deeply pitted the table it's no big deal. The repairs on the unifence should be doable even if you had to special order the parts. But if your handy you can fix it unless more is missing besides the bolts.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts