Woodworking Talk banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
769 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I get redirected to Norton antivirus when viewing threads.

When I started this post Imwas directed to Adobe flash download.

·
johnep
1,981 Posts
I am free of these adverts. Susect yu have had a spammer at work, promising these companies to raise their profile on Google.
Run a virus/malware check. AVG is free
johnep

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
Robert - depending on what your device is, your software, what programs you have loaded on it,
ad and spam blockers you may or may not have in place. way too many variables to give an
educated reply.
if it continues, and on this forum only, you can contact Admin with all the information about your
experience. include as much information as you possibly can as they will ask those questions.
but a short answer would be "no", this site has not been hacked.

John

Reactions: TobyC

·
johnep
1,981 Posts
I am free of these adverts. Suspect you have had a spammer at work, promising these companies to raise their profile on Google.
Run a virus/malware check. AVG is free
johnep

·
Registered
3,202 Posts
This is behavior that I reported to the moderators a couple weeks ago. John has seen the reports, and so has the website administrator. I sent them links to the redirections, whose domains were typical of malware threats. I recommended that the admins verify that their server is fully patched and updated, and run a full scan with whatever anti-malware tools they use.

For me, the answer is yes, this forum only. I saw it only during that one period a couple weeks ago. It got through a business class firewall and other defenses. I assume the root cause is active content in malicious ads in frames, and not the server or website itself. That's a guess and not a proven fact, okay? I have not seen it since then, but it is possible that my firewall has learned to detect and block it.

In my case, I am running a Mac with the Safari browser. The "You need to renew your Norton antivirus subscription page" makes no sense in the context of my system. No Norton products are installed. I knew it was wrong from the start. When I didn't fall for their trick, they redirected my browser tab to the real Norton website, probably in an attempt to hide their malicious activity, which I found in the browser history. I also saw other redirections that were far worse.

For me (a couple weeks ago), the problems on WoodworkingTalk disappeared after a couple hours. Lacking any further examples, I assumed that WoodworkingTalk's advertising provider had detected the malware ads and eliminated them.

Malware advertisers are persistent and pernicious. If it isn't just an active frame and WoodworkingTalk's current server is "pwned", then I hope that their new, upcoming website is being built and tested on a separate, new, fully patched server.

Make sure your own system is current and fully updated. Run a full and complete scan (offline, if offered) on your system, too.

I hope this helps.

·
Super Moderator
3,260 Posts
I guess I am the odd man out. I have yet to have any kind of activity like this.
if a system is "hacked" or infiltrated, wouldn't everyone (or a lot) have the same issue ??
it just seems odd that only a very few individual members have had the same experience.
and like Jim said; the new system is right around the corner.

Reactions: TobyC

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
on my desktop PC Win10 there's not an issue.
when I came here on an iPhone I got nailed immediately.

a couple people who have abandoned the site because of these problems were using Apples, so apparently the cretins specialize in iOS.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have had Notion pop ups also. I have a iPad with Apple OS.

I didn’t know if it was this site or a auto site I frequent.

Roger

·
Registered
134 Posts
I've had them also. Had one earlier today. I have a PC with Windows and McAfee antivirus. I've never had Norton on it.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I had both the Norton ad and the Adobe ad both pop up just now. It happened a couple days ago too.

·
Ancient Termite
888 Posts
I hate to mention this because I will catch a bunch of poop from Cricket.

I run an ad blocking software, Ad Block Plus. It is free and a Godsend. In addition to blocking ads it seems to assist Norton in blocking malware.

I still get some ads but they are not so overwhelming and take control of 2/3 of the screen. I really don't like using the ad blocker but I will give up 1/3 or 1/4 of the screen but no more. It seems that some ad content providers consider screen real estate to use as they please.

I'm 78 but there is one thing that my mother used to say that I agree with, "Everything in moderation."

·
Registered
1,552 Posts
I use FireFox on a Win10 machine with AdGuard AdBlocker.
I found it more effective than AdBlock + (which I used for years....)
I get no pop-ups or ads here.

based on this latest discussion I came here using MS iexplorer

- I had to rip Chrome and Edge out by the roots - they insist on owning my machine....

well, the screen was jumping up down sideways diagonal to the point the ads made the place completely unusable.
could not read a single message because the screen would not stand still.

it'll be interesting to see if the new software screens out the bad stuff from the ad stream.

is viglink.com still on the site?
will it be on the new site?

·
Super Moderator
4,786 Posts
I guess I am the odd man out. I have yet to have any kind of activity like this.
if a system is "hacked" or infiltrated, wouldn't everyone (or a lot) have the same issue ??
it just seems odd that only a very few individual members have had the same experience.
and like Jim said; the new system is right around the corner.

I haven't had any problems either, at all. I don't use Norton or other virus programs, I just use the one that is with Windows 10.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have had no issues when using my Win 10 PC. Those ads only showed up when using Safari / IOS and only when I’m browsing this website.

·
Registered
169 Posts
Last night I attempted to get on the site and my Norton protected me by blocking access with the message something like it stopped a malicious website. Tonight no problem. Something is definitely wrong, or was wrong, with the site.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts